Lang 84 restoration

It should clean up great with a little work. You will like it more knowing you restored it.

If you do paint in the garage be sure that it can remain in the garage for a few days. Just because the paint is dry doesn't mean it has cured and in these temps that is very important.

Blast it for $180, replace the things that need replaced. Then go to the dollar store and buy a dozen cans of cooking spray, spray everything heavy (inside and out) and start a fire and let her sweat. Tthen lube everything with your lube of choice, e.g., lard, bacon grease, peanut oil. You will be very happy when you finish. Post some more pics when you finish.

If you have additional time and energy you can add a roof system. Ben added one to our 84 when we ordered and it has helped big time in maintaining compared to our 60. Easy to raise and tows great! We dropped one side and used as a wind break for us and a couple of other teams during the big wind at Dover in 2007 :-D

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 260
I'm also thinking of building a charcoal bin/basket and ash tray for longer times between reloading fuel (maybe a stoker or guru too), but that's probably another thread.

-ralph

Ralph,

I would use Rebar rod for the fire box grate instead of expanded metal, it will last trouble free for many years.

For the Bandera fire bin/basket, I used 1/2 inch diameter rebar spaced on 1 inch centers, which gives 1/2 inch gap between bars and that worked great for both charcoal and stick burning. It also gave longer burns because of the smaller gap than expanded metal.

For that bad boy you are rebuilding, I would guess that you will be using much hotter fires and a wider span than the Bandera, so I would use 3/4 inch diameter rebar spaced so that you still get a 1/2 inch gap between bars.

Below is the Bandera design I built and sold to Brethren on this site.

Last edited:
:biggrin: LOL! Naw, been looking forward to having one of these for a long time.

The low tonight is 13, tomorrow night 11. I may have to delay the sandblasting till next week, which is a bummer cause I was really looking forward to getting it fixed up over the weekend and making some smoke on Mon. :cool:

If so, maybe I'll just fire it up, brush the grates, and hit it with Pam in the meantime - and do some ribs! :-D

Just line drip pan with foil.

Nice score on the Lang! I will say "Ditto" on the Temperature, If the paint isn't dry and freezes it will be a waste of time.

Good luck on the restoration!

:idea: Put a space heater inside the smoker and close the doors. Wait at least a couple hours before painting. At ambient room temp it will take a loooong time for all that metal to warm up. Maybe even 2 space heaters, a hair dryer or heat gun.:mrgreen: Good luck!

Blast it for $180, replace the things that need replaced. Then go to the dollar store and buy a dozen cans of cooking spray, spray everything heavy (inside and out) and start a fire and let her sweat. Tthen lube everything with your lube of choice, e.g., lard, bacon grease, peanut oil. You will be very happy when you finish. Post some more pics when you finish.

If you have additional time and energy you can add a roof system. Ben added one to our 84 when we ordered and it has helped big time in maintaining compared to our 60. Easy to raise and tows great! We dropped one side and used as a wind break for us and a couple of other teams during the big wind at Dover in 2007 :-D

Woo-Hoo, that is a sweet looking set up:-D:!:

How much $ do you have in it as shown, if I may be sold bold as to ask?

Well, the weather was not cooperating on the sandblasting and painting, so decided to take a wire wheel to the grates, hit everything with cooking spray and see how she'd take some seasoning.

The lower grates were literally going to pieces, completely rotted with rust. The upper grate is solid and cleaned up pretty well.

Got a fire going, went through about 6 cans of Pam (should buy stock I guess), and had a big grin on my face about an hour later! This is all in 20-25 degree weather, chamber holding temp easily with the air intakes all but nearly closed (lotta fuel).

Invited a couple friends over yesterday and we put the upper rack to good use!

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas - I'll eventually get back to the sandblasting and painting. If it turns out this good just spraying it, it's going to be fantastic once it's cleaned up.

Next project will be to replicate the lower grates.

Thanks!

-ralph

Attachments

• 100_0394.jpg
    100_0394.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_0390.jpg
    100_0390.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_0403.jpg
    100_0403.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
:-D:-D:-D Amazing what cooking spray and heat can do to a pit. It looks happy must know it is with a good home:wink: You are on the way and are going to be very happy! Thanks for posting the pics and look forward to more once you add the grates and sandblasting (if you decide to). Would at least do the firebox...they love to rust. We repainted and now just spray abou every other fire.

I think that you were wise to wait to sandblast and paint it in warmer weather. In the mean time, cook on it to see what else needs fixing. Langs are famous for rusty fireboxes.

Looks great! What a labor of love. LOL
Glad someone that cares has it now.

I am very glad you are doing this - restoring the Pit but, and I hope I do not offend, I hope that the original owner is found and spoken to in a very cross tone. That is what punishment he deserves... a stern and brisk talking to...

:-D

I am very glad you are doing this - restoring the Pit but, and I hope I do not offend, I hope that the original owner is found and spoken to in a very cross tone. That is what punishment he deserves... a stern and brisk talking to...

:-D
Agreed, I'd give him more than a talking to. The Lang is looking good!

looking good- did the basic clean up on mine and have been cooking on it since- will need some paint on the frame and out side shelves but that will happen this summer-

Back