Pork Bellies

Cobra7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm can't find a pork bellies anywhere. I've asked 8 "butchers" and they have no idea what I'm talking about!!!! Any suggestions?

I'm can't find a pork bellies anywhere. I've asked 8 "butchers" and they have no idea what I'm talking about!!!! Any suggestions?

Find someone that slaughters and butchers
Around here you can find BBQ pigs on craigslist - They would know

I am amazed that you are in the heart of "Woooooooo. Pig. Sooie!" Rasorback country and can not find bellies. 8)

All I can say is keep on looking.

TIM

I second the Asian market. We have place called 99 Ranch and I have seen it there. Never tried it, but maybe that should change.

Depending where you are ask for 'side meat' instead of bellies. Same thing. I got two the other day.

I asked for pork bellies at one place and they said they didn't have any but they had beef tripe:eek::scared:

Those folks you asked about bellies weren't butchers. If they don't know where bacon comes from, they need to get a new job. Most grocery stores don't employ real meat cutters these days, which is a shame. Everything is cut up at the packing plant and the grocers are just dressing it up and stamping their brand on it.

The butcher is the bbq'er's best friend. If you find a good one, make friends with him and he will always take care of you. If you don't have a legit grocery store (usually local owned) who actually cut their own meat, search your area for a meat-locker. Those guys will point you in the right direction. And as always, hit up the local farmers for the freshest and the best. You'll get a good deal most of the time if you are buying a whole animal. Go in with a bbq buddy and whole hog it.

I see that you are close to Memphis. I googled 'Memphis TN asian grocery' and saw several stores there. Google it and call a few of them. I think you'll find your belly there.

Try an asian grocery store, mexican grocery store like a La Michoacana, or whoever the locals use to process deer during hunting season.

Back