• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
In reply to n0face's query,
I went to an engineering company and asked if they had any stainless steel cutoffs, they donated a length of stainless which I had welded into a square and then I spent a few hours drilling it with holes, lucky me.
sometimes a cheeky ask works !

First UDS Build

First UDS build here. Gotta get it finished soon. First competition in May! Sandblasted today then finishing drilling and paint next week! Quick question for everyone. I've got four vent holes around the bottom. Am going to put a ball valve on one for more control. Is it a good idea to ball valve a couple or just the one?

Attachments

• 1st set of Pics.zip
    439.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2nd set of pics.zip
    657.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3rd set of pics.zip
    331.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Burn out.JPG
    Burn out.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 636
anamutes.jpg
nu6u7u9e.jpg
y3ydesy6.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Your food looked great. I think you could get by with cutting your basket in half, or only fill it less than half, depending on what you are cooking, like chicken vs brisket, it just looks to tall in the pic. How long, what temp and how much was left afterwards would tell a better story?
Dave

Do you guys get reconditioned or new drums? I called a drum company and they said it would be better to get a drum new for smoking and could not guarantee that the recon drum would not have any residue in it.

Well sure they want to sell you a high dollar drum. I have never used a reconditioned, or new one, just burn them out good. If the drum had something so toxic in it, I would think it would not be allowed to be re sold to the the public, not even a trash burner drum, and be treated as hazardous wast material.
Dave

My UDS build

Well, I read the complete thread and what a thread that was, thank you to all who contributed, I did my best to inwardly digest the masses of advice and info and this is what I have built.
The Burn
IMG_0617.jpg

Fire box
IMG_0697.jpg

Ready to season with beef dripping
IMG_0700.jpg

The shining
IMG_0716.jpg

First paint job
IMG_0719.jpg

Finished item
IMG_1286.jpg

First tentative smoke

IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg

Followed very quickly by:
IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

And a nice supper it makes too.

IMG_1266.jpg

I'm gonna get fat !

Just wish the summer would arrive, the U.K. is bloody miserable at the moment, at least we are in the South west and have no snow.

Hope you didn't get bored !

I have to admit, the charcoal basket is a bit on the heavy side, but that said, the steel was free (cadged from a local engineering firm that makes industrial recycling equipment) and I only buggered up two drill bits, so it turned out to be fairly cheap to make.
AND I don't think it will burn out :heh:

The grate is only 7 inches below the lip of the barrel.

and for anyone wondering about the dimensions of the charcoal basket, it is 15" square and 8 deep.
The UDS seems happiest to trundle along between 250 and 275 as its favorite temp with one 3/4" cap off and the ball valve 1/4 open and is easy to adjust up or down from there.
For what a UDS is, it's an amazingly good piece of kit.

If you look at the picture where the drum is painted yellow, you can see the bolts between the first and second ring that the grate sits on.

greetings all. I love all the hard work you people are putting in to teach us nOObs about UDS'. I have begun looking for the barrel so I can get started. and I am hoping to get my post count high enough to view some recipes...

Sam T. Nice job on the barrel! food looks great!

Zona-welcome aboard, just use the search engine below, enter the recipes you are looking for and you will be amazed how many pop-up.

Thanks Budman! the search bar was what i was looking for.

I cant wait to get my UDS up and smokin'

Hi all,

New here and have been reading through the forums for a couple of weeks now. Going to begin my first UDS build hopefully this weekend if my drum arrives. Thank you to all of you who have posted so much information on process of building one of these. I really appreciate it. I have one question to start and I am hoping someone can give me a little advice.

My drum is food grade (not sure about the liner yet as I haven't seen the drum), but after I burn it out, I am assuming that I should then sand it down both inside an out. I don't have equipment to do this, although I believe I could track one down. How much time does this typically take and would it be worth my time to have someone sandblast it after the burn instead.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

greetings all. I love all the hard work you people are putting in to teach us nOObs about UDS'. I have begun looking for the barrel so I can get started. and I am hoping to get my post count high enough to view some recipes...

Get a subscription and get access to all the recipes:clap:
And it helps fund this site.

Where can I find cooking grates to fit an 85 gallon drum? I think it needs to be about 25"+ diameter. I don't wunna use a 22" grate.....that defeats the purpose of having a 85 gallon....might as well use my 55 gallon drum. TIA

Back