• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Score This Chicken Box Please

B

Bigjim4x

I just wanted to get some opinion's on what you would score this chicken box.

Hammond08010.jpg

I'd score that a 6 or 7.

Minus: To my eye, there's too much excess skin on the piece at left. The skin looks thick and not tender enough to bite through. Excuse my crassness, but it looks like foreskin. I would have put that piece in the back.

Plus:Good color on the skin. Nicely plump thighs. Size and shape look consistent enough to show that you cherrypicked your turn in pieces.

7 or 8 here. Color, size, and shape are good. Agree with the Prof. on the left front piece... that sucker looks down right odd with the excess skin. I would have tucked that under.... or hidden it at the back.

I would score it an 8...
if you had hidden the front piece
that looks deformed I would have given it
a 9.. I can't wait to taste that chicken..
mmm Send me a piece so I can finish my
judging slip :icon_blush:

There is actually meat under that piece of skin. It just wasn't trimmed very well.

Big Jim,

Gotta go with an 8-9,

Color is wonderfull, The bottom right piece has my name written all over it.

Skin does apear thick and not tender though. But I can't judge down on that untill I taste.

Also the Garnish seems to be off on the left hand side, May want to touch that up just a tad. And re-arrange the Barry Bonds piece that worked it's way into your box,................................ Mabey it was just a cream but I don't think HGH is legal in KCBS!!!! :p

Very Nice effort and nice looking box.

I'm thinking 7-8. They're just a bit too big to me, and that bottom left thigh needs some work. It almost doesn't look done, i.e. very bright red. It doesn't make me want to reach out and grab a piece of chicken. I wouldn't say I'd count it down because the skin doesn't look tender; that's another score, and I don't really think skin should count against the cook as bbq chicken by its nature doesn't have crisp skin.

8. good even color. As you already said it's not the best trimming effort but I only score down a little for that. Do a better job and get even color like that with a nice parsley bed and it's a 9.

I'd give it an 8. Looks like a nice even color. And like everybody else, change or trim that one in front and your talking a 9 for sure.
I was a little shocked to see a 6-7. I could maybe see a 7 but for sure not a 6. Average? no way! The only thing wrong is that big piece in front.

I'd give it an 8. Looks like a nice even color. And like everybody else, change or trim that one in front and your talking a 9 for sure.
I was a little shocked to see a 6-7. I could maybe see a 7 but for sure not a 6. Average? no way! The only thing wrong is that big piece in front.
I agree a 100% would of been a 9 if the funky looking front left piece would of got trimmed, other than that its beautiful.

That is a pretty good looking box of chicken. If I were judging it I would probably give it an 8 like several others have said that one piece just jumps out to you that it doesn't belong, But I like the color and shine so much on everything and the bed of greens looks good to me.

I would go with an 9 - I do not remeber anywhere in the judging class that says i should judge down if the pieces are not uniformed.

It looks good and makes me want to grab a piece and eat it up.

Now I am hungry - thanks.

I would have said an 8 The one piece would not have been enough to go up a number and the greenery was just a little uneven Solid 8. Good looking box!

I would have given an 9, but that one piece . . . no it does not say to judge down if not uniform, but as you are judging appearance, uniformity is a must.

Case in point, the Rockettes.

rccs_2007_6.jpg

You guys are all commenting on the good color. For my pallete, it's too light. I always feel better off with a few "crispy" spots / bit darker color. Comments please....

BTW - 7.

I'd also give it an 8. That one piece sticks out since it is overlapping the edge of the box. The garnish could be more even all they way around, too.

Back