Inspire me with my piece of Flank Steak

Titch

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Have a piece in the fridge, grilled a bit today and it was tasty.
I want to eat it wrapped in home made flat bread.
Give me a great 8 hour marinade please

IMO one of the most perfect tastes in the world is flank steak marinaded in a Teriyaki sauce. Problem is that 8 hours is way longer than any I do because of the salt content.

IMO one of the most perfect tastes in the world is flank steak marinaded in a Teriyaki sauce. Problem is that 8 hours is way longer than any I do because of the salt content.

please enlighten me, I was thinking 8 hour max, thanks mate

Easiest is to just go buy a bottle of Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce at the store. That is the one in the pink bottle. You can make it yourself also pretty easy. I use an even mixture of soy sauce and water with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and some granulated garlic. Nothing fancy. You want the marinade thin. Take a fork to the meat. Put it in a zip lock bag and let it sit for about two hours.

Be careful with some of the other products for sale or even recipes you might find since they are really more finishing sauces than marinades. Their high sugar content will burn like crazy on the grill.

Hi Titch

Umm... from Shizuo Tsuji..

Makes 1 and 1/3 cups.

7TBS GOOD Sake
7TBS Mirin
7TBS GOOD Dark Soy Sauce
1TBS sugar

Just mix together, bring to a simmer just until the sugar dissolves. When you smell this mix, you will KNOW it's correct. (Please Landarc, if you know better just shut the fark up this time!:razz:)

Use this as a marinade for the flank steak....a good few days... And naturally, don't chuck it away. Lighty sear the flank over direct lump charcoal... rare of course. Rest and reduce the marinade over a high heat for the sauce. This is assisted by a little bit of extra sugar, or (if you have to) some arrowroot or potato starch or rice flour.

Another fave of mine is a jerk or chimmichurri to eat with fresh tortillas, salsa, sour cream, and avocado. Phrasty is your "go to" guy for that.

Cheers!

Bill

I'm simpler than most. Vacuum pack after a little salting. Place in hot water (52C) and keep it there marinating for 8 hours. Open packet sear & enjoy............
John

AND forget the Fosters and try a good red instead!!!!!!
John

Splash of Mexican beer (modelo), juice from 1 lime, dash of olive oil, dash of Wooster, good amount of beef fajita seasoning, 1/2 tbs ancho powder, 1 tsp black pepper. Shake up in a bag, marinate tabletop for 1 hr, sear Hott! It's our favorite and have won lots of fajita Cookoffs with thin sliced flank steak agai st the grain. IMO it tastes better than skirt.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOiCw2qumBA&sns=em"]J$ fajitas on the smokey joe - YouTube[/ame]
I like it rolled in a pita with horseradish mayo and so Carmelized onyawns.

This sounds really good, need to try it. The highlighted comment below sure sounds like a throwdown to me:biggrin1:
Hi Titch

Umm... from Shizuo Tsuji..

Makes 1 and 1/3 cups.

7TBS GOOD Sake
7TBS Mirin
7TBS GOOD Dark Soy Sauce
1TBS sugar

Just mix together, bring to a simmer just until the sugar dissolves. When you smell this mix, you will KNOW it's correct. (Please Landarc, if you know better just shut the fark up this time!:razz:)

Use this as a marinade for the flank steak....a good few days... And naturally, don't chuck it away. Lighty sear the flank over direct lump charcoal... rare of course. Rest and reduce the marinade over a high heat for the sauce. This is assisted by a little bit of extra sugar, or (if you have to) some arrowroot or potato starch or rice flour.

Another fave of mine is a jerk or chimmichurri to eat with fresh tortillas, salsa, sour cream, and avocado. Phrasty is your "go to" guy for that.

Cheers!

Bill

Heres the winner..... Mediterian Flank steak with Tzatski Sauce. My brother and I prepared this at Eggfest last year and it was a major hit.

Marinate the Flank in EVOO, Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Thyme, and S&P.

Blend the sauce then refrigerate with a little Greek Yogurt, Sour Cream, dill, cucucumber, and lemon juice

Serve on some warm pitas with fresh tomatoes and red onions,

The red wine vinegar really helps break down the meat and you end up with an awesome flank steak gyro.

Equal parts balsamic & worcestshire sauce and olive oil, a little garlic and montreal steak seasoning. You can also add some dijon to act as an emulsifier.

From a previous cook:
I took a 2 LB flank steak, sliced half a sweet onion, three green onions and a hefty bunch of cilantro chopped. This was then marinated in a Cubano style mojo:

1/3 cup evoo
2/3 cup bitter orange juice (Or 1/4 cup lime juice then add orange juice to make 2/3 cup total)
2 tbs minced garlic
1/2 tsp (rounded) cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 to 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

The garlic was sauteed in the evoo (medium high heat - only takes a minute), the OJ and other ingredients were added and brough to a boil. Turned off the heat and allowed to get back to room temperature. Marinate 8 to 24 hours plus...

Easy peasy

Tenderize-Add soy, pineapple juice, chunks of onion and jalapeno,couple clove of garlic, touch of cumin, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
A short or as long as you like.

Might taste like fajita meat....damn fine fajita meat.

Too easy, but try it anyway: Good Seasons Italian dressing. I make mine with peanut oil and cider vinegar.

If you want teriyaki, try this:

1/3 cup each: soy sauce, cheap cooking sherry, and peanut oil. Two T. of grated fresh ginger, three cloves garlic minced, 2 T. molasses. Mix it up a day or two in advance, strain before using unless you like it chunky.

Thanks everyone, I think I will be eating Flank for a while to try these, they all sound delish

Got half a doz recipes, but with flank they are all Asiian or two Mexican, thanks for all these ideas!!

Still impressed in this cut of meat.
Teriyaki marinated Flank,
Home made Teriyaki, used what I had .
That's what Cooking is about.
Marinaded overnight, plus some.

What a great piece of meat, loves being cooked over coals

Back