CL score: mullberry tree. Anyone ever smoke with it?

mikeleonard81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A guy posted a mullberry tree he cut down I usually only check on apple trees. Looked it up and read that this is verry simular to apple. One person wrote it was like smelling cotton candy when he used it. Have any of you ever used it? It's a HUGE tree so if anyone else in my neck of the woods needs some let me know.

It does smell like cotton candy a bit. It make a lot of sparks and crackles a bit, but it's good stuff. Light in smoke and flavor. Great score!

Bob

it is great to smoke with. If you have a stick burner, it burns very hot, if you are adding to charcoal use 4-5 chunks scattered throughout the charcoal.

Nice! I'm anxiously awaiting the day when my parents chop down their mulberry tree - I'll claim a couple logs for smokin'.

Bugs like it, it must be good! I had some chunks in my collection of smoking woods and when I moved them around, I found the mulberry riddled with worm holes and burned it up in a camp fire. Since then I've dusted my smoking wood with diatomaceous earth to discourage insects. It's mostly silica and should be pretty inert in a fire. Keep an eye on yours!

I just picked up some yesterday that someone was giving away.

I just took a mulberry down. Been smoking quite a bit with it. It's great to use. Does have a bit of a sweet flavor but I find it very mild.

Hank B... the DE idea on the bottom of the storage can and sprinkled on the wood, great idea! Thanks for that!

Good score. To those who have friend with the trees: wait until fall to do a pruning. The tree will come back full by spring, and you will have some wood to cure.

Don't cut it down!

Back