THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DDM4V1

Found some matches.
I have been successful thus far with the UDS. Two butts, a turkey, ribs twice. Everything came out the way it should. I really wanted to do brisket because most of the reading here suggests it is the hardest thing to get right.

I had had a hell of a time finding a packer, but finally found a beautiful 14 lb. specimen at the butcher shop.

A little trim, a generous rub of kosher salt and Chicago Steak and Chop seasoning from World Market and she was resting comfortably on the counter coming up to room temp while I prepped the drum.

I used a basket of Trader Joe's briquettes and 4 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry. Up to 325° and on she she goes.

(My GS3 takes beautiful pictures everywhere except the kitchen. Sorry for the quality.)

20131103_091805.jpg

(Some people suggest layering the meat side with the fat trimmings. You can see some small pieces there with which I was experimenting.)

I averaged about 330°-335° and was at 195° in about six hours. Probed. Nope. Waited a half Hour. Probed. Nope. Waited a half hour. BAM! Butta! Off she comes.

20131103_155641.jpg

Flat separated, wrapped, and coolered. Point was cubed, sprinkled and tossed with sauce. Back on.

Made a batch of Keri's beans (the best).

Ends come off, some which go into the beans.

20131103_180050.jpg

Flat is sliced.

20131103_192304.jpg

Juicy, flavorful, bends like it should, with the perfect pull. I'd love to say I am that good, but I have just been lucky. Plus, this drum just flat out cruises.

Thanks for looking!

Looks good. I discovered that the hardest thing about cooking brisket, is to get out of your own head. I'm not a master by any means, but once I realized that it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, it made cooking them, a lot more fun.

Matt

Looks good. I discovered that the hardest thing about cooking brisket, is to get out of your own head. I'm not a master by any means, but once I realized that it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, it made cooking them, a lot more fun.

Matt

Excellent point. Not worth it if you aren't having fun!

Once you've cooked one brisket, well then you've cooked one brisket. They all act a little different on time and temp (ie:frustration) however the probe test is consistent $$$$$

Fretting Time and Temp on briskest result in either high level anxiety or low level paranoia. Probe testing removes these to a comfortably numb state.

Good job. Enjoyed the pics

Barrels make cooking fun.

Back