• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First go at a fatty with pron

HookedOnQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Decided to try a fatty for the first time this morning.. Did a plain bacon wrapped fatty using jimmy dean sage and some thick cut bacon no rub or anything added.. Set the kettle up for indirect using a few chunks of apple wood my target temp was 250 but i think i started with too many lit coals and couldnt get my temp under 300 so i just let it go at that cooked about 2 hours at 300 till internal temp was 175... Overall it turned out good.. Didnt really get the smokering i was looking for and i think next time i wont use thick cut bacon so it will crisp better..

Last edited:
Looks good, I smoked my first fatties for the 4th. I too didnt seem to get the smokering I expected. Maybe its the applewood? I used it too

apple wood will not give the deepest smoke ring. one thing I have done is add the bacon after about 30min or so in. but that was because I was cooking the bacon to fast and it would burn. That was also before I knew anything really about bbq or grilling

Looks good, I did two fatties the other day, one with bacon and one without and i've got to say I'm starting to lean towards the naked fatty. I have always thought that bacon was the only way to go but I'm a changed man.

NICE! .... They are Awesome! ...... You can hit 250+- with your kettle, if you use a "fuse" or similar method & only light 6-8 briquettes & "snake" your briquettes around the side of your kettle...... Once you get your temps dialed in, I would suggest marking the spot (with a Sharpy etc.) on your vent control as a point of reference for temp control...... IMO, best bacon for a Fatty is the cheapest/thinnest stuff you can find..... & use your knife edge to stretch it to about 2x its normal length on a cutting board/block for wrapping

Thanks for the tips guys.. Already looking forward to my next fatty should have my uds done for the next one

Back