MAYO anyone?

boiler93

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Back during college while taking a food science class the head chef turned me on to rubbing my ribs with my favorite rub and then spreading a tablespoon of mayo all over the ribs and I've been doing it ever since. I know a lot people use mustard but i was just wondering if anyone has tried mayo?? Too late for the prep pics but I have 3 slabs going now and will post pics here directly.

I've done it on Chicken with some Mrs dash IIRC it worked pretty good, Hmmm.... I might have to do that again

Mayo is eggs and oil... I've made chocolate cakes with Duke's Mayo.. so why not, it's an idea I hadn't thought about. . :thumb:

Mayo, interesting. I have used mustard, but never considered mayo. :idea:

for sure there is no reason it wouldn't work. wife is allergic to eggs so i gotta stick with mustard most of the times. but will try it on some pork next time.

Would the egg part in mayo help browning too like it does with an egg wash on bread? It gives my hamburger buns a nice thick crust so would it do that with meat and mayo?

Great idea, I will give it a try. I am always searching for more delicious ways to cook!

Would the egg part in mayo help browning too like it does with an egg wash on bread? It gives my hamburger buns a nice thick crust so would it do that with meat and mayo?

Dont see a noticeable color change in the browning but mayo tastes great and its an excellent tenderizer.

Finished product looks great.
Just for an idea, standard mayo cracks when heated but Japanese mayo doesn't. Maybe it is a better idea to use Japanese mayo.
John

Never heard of japanese mayo but i will look for it, does it have a similar taste?

Never heard of japanese mayo but i will look for it, does it have a similar taste?

Yes it does. We just buy it at a Japanese supermarket. A friend introduce me to it on oysters. I normally eat oysters natural. He served them with a little Japanese mayo to which had been added a small amount of a mild blue cheese. They were then warmed under a salamander. A great success. If one uses our usual off the shelf mayo the topping splits!!
John

Back