• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Permatex high temp rtv

gotbags-10

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Just got done building a smoker at work. Got it home and fired it up only to find some small holes in my welds. No welder to close them up at home. Was going to use the permatex rtv but I seem to find mixed reviews on this. Certainly don't want to taste nasty chemical. Any opinions? I've also heard of people using Rutland rtv as well. These are two I can get locally so hopefully one will work. Thanks nick

I know many people use JB Weld successfully on their ceramic cookers, if the repairs do not need to be flexible.

I've used the Permatex, Rutland RTV and JB weld.

I've only used them to fill seams, small holes and gaps around fittings, etc.

Seem to work fine for me.

Long as you use the hi-temp red stuff you should be fine, though it may not last if it's close to firebox-if your cooker has a firebox that is, such as an offset would.

The Permatex won't hurt you but may not withstand the heat as well as JB Weld if directly exposed to more than 700° for an extended period. Holds my BGE gasket (Rutland) and has been over 1000° numerous times but the gasket/adhesive is several inches from the firebox.

As far as health effects... I'm fine... cough, cough, ack... gasp.... wheeze... sigh. :icon_smile_tongue:

Back