Hi all,

New here and have been reading through the forums for a couple of weeks now. Going to begin my first UDS build hopefully this weekend if my drum arrives. Thank you to all of you who have posted so much information on process of building one of these. I really appreciate it. I have one question to start and I am hoping someone can give me a little advice.

My drum is food grade (not sure about the liner yet as I haven't seen the drum), but after I burn it out, I am assuming that I should then sand it down both inside an out. I don't have equipment to do this, although I believe I could track one down. How much time does this typically take and would it be worth my time to have someone sandblast it after the burn instead.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome aboard.

It depends on the liner. If you can finde someone to sandblast it on the cheap I'd say do it. I was quoted $40 around here to have a barrel sandblasted inside and out, but luckily the barrels I found were bare on the inside.

Many people just burn the heck out of them and can scrape the remaining paint with a wire brush. But like I said, it depends on the liner. Some have vowed to never burn, scrape, and sand again because of the hassle.

@sam.t--GOOD GAWD MAN! You don't mess around do ya. Did you have a problem deciding what's for dinner?

Good looking grub.

Welcome aboard.

It depends on the liner. If you can finde someone to sandblast it on the cheap I'd say do it. I was quoted $40 around here to have a barrel sandblasted inside and out, but luckily the barrels I found were bare on the inside.

Many people just burn the heck out of them and can scrape the remaining paint with a wire brush. But like I said, it depends on the liner. Some have vowed to never burn, scrape, and sand again because of the hassle.

Burned the drum and lid for over 3 hours tonight. Going to see if i can get a good deal on sandblasting it with most if not all the paint gone

@sam.t--GOOD GAWD MAN! You don't mess around do ya. Did you have a problem deciding what's for dinner?

Good looking grub.

My version of a mixed grill !

To be truthful, I was impatient to see what some of the different cuts would be like cooked in the smoker, Had to put some in the freezer but we had that with salads at a later date.

FrankenTurboMobileDeath Smoker

Hi guys now that the snow has gone I have decided to spruce up the old UDS.

I had the idea of using the frame from my rusted out horizontal BBQ and adding a few bits of shiny to her. I am re seasoning her at the minute with some ground nut oil and will attach her to the frame and touch up her external paint tomorrow!

I may even be tempted to add a chrome tail pipe as a chimney at some stage what do you think guys?

Attachments

• smoker2.jpg
    smoker2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 758
  • smoker3.jpg
    smoker3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 758
  • smoker1.jpg
    smoker1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 758
@slugmong--I love the idea of re-purposing things that you don't use anymore. While you are at it, take a look at the folding side tables on the old grill. Is there anyway to attach them to the old frame?

I need to do an "update" project too. It is about time to clean, repaint, and add some tables.

I did take a look at adding them but couldn't think of a way to fix them, the frame is pretty shot so it is only temporary I am thinking of building a table that joins the UDS to a 57cm Weber one touch.

Well, I read the complete thread and what a thread that was, thank you to all who contributed, I did my best to inwardly digest the masses of advice and info and this is what I have built.

First tentative smoke

IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg

Followed very quickly by:
IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

Just wish the summer would arrive, the U.K. is bloody miserable at the moment, at least we are in the South west and have no snow.

Hope you didn't get bored !

Great post sir! What did you put in the mini sweet peppers? They look great!

Thank you Mr Sinister.
I stuffed the mini peppers with a pork mince, garlic, oregano and chilli flake mix, (caught the wife out with those chilli flakes lol)

What type of paint should I use on my UDS? Does it need to be high heat or would something like an engine enamel work?

Just about anything will work. The sides don't get hot enough to burn the paint off the drum.

I have been running my newly built UDS on 1 1/4 bags of KBB for over 28 hours. I'm going to keep it rolling and see how long it goes. This is pretty unbelievable.

I put a 20# bag of K in my UDS on Friday and loaded it up with about 60# of pork butts. When I pulled them on Saturday morning we put a ham on and smoked it. Shut it down after about 24 hours and haven't checked to see what's left. But I know there's fuel left in it. Best darn smoke I own!

I have read a lot about Temp gauge placement on these UDS's, probe length and so forth. I have an opportunity to pickup a Tel-Tru with an 8" probe for a great price. Would this be better in order to get a reading at the "near center" of the drum. This one just happens to be a lot better on price than some of the other Tel-Tru's.

I have read a lot about Temp gauge placement on these UDS's, probe length and so forth. I have an opportunity to pickup a Tel-Tru with an 8" probe for a great price. Would this be better in order to get a reading at the "near center" of the drum. This one just happens to be a lot better on price than some of the other Tel-Tru's.
put it below the bottom grate and you should be fine

Is the therm designed to be removable or permanent fixed?
If fixed then it will limit the size of the charcoal basket to be used....

What N8man said. It would be almost impossible to get you charcoal basket in & out with a probe that long that is mounted. 3" is about the max for a fixed therm.

Or you can use a long stemmed pull-thru thermometer. Install a small brass nipple fitting with a hole the same size as the stem. The thermo will insert straight across and stay level.

Here I have a 12" turkey fryer thermo inserted in my UDS. I know I've posted this pic in this mega-thread about 2 years ago.
P1060104.jpg

Last edited:
Back