The Smoking Gun

I'm intrigued with the idea of smoking beverages. Can't imagine how that might taste. Interesting. Let us know if you try it.

Just saw that tonight on Man Fire Food. They used it to smoke pulled pork with oregano. Slick little tool.

Received "The Smoking Gun" this Christmas from a family member. I'd never heard if it.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/smoking-gun/?&

Anybody have one of these and use it? My immediate thought was using it for cold smoking cheese and such.

Is this thing any good, or should I just leave it in the box?

Yes, using it to smoke cheese is one of it's uses. Cold smoking or adding smoke to hot things also.

I have seen these used on the tv shows Chopped, Top Chef, and The Iron Chef several times. They are cool little tools which can impart a lighter smoke flavor to food. You are basically doing a quick cold smoke to impart the smoke and then cooking the ingredient its regular way.

Also to help with a smoke type of flavor they will put the cooked food in bowls and cover with plastic wrap and then pipe the smoke into it and seal it. When the person eating it removes the plastic the smoke wafts out and stimulates your nose with nice smokey smells which also helps with them tasting the smoke on the food.

Well, I'll give it a go here in a few days and report back.

I figure to do a whole block of cheese, it may require several deliverance's of smoke. But, I'll figure it out as I go.

Thanks,
Hazard

My lovely Mrs. bought me one last Christmas and it THROWS the smoke out. Although I have only used it a few times (relying more on my Pro Q CSG) it does seem to work quite well. The only downside is that you need to tend it more than the CSG...knocking out the burnt chips, refilling, re lighting.

Here is a good one from Hawgeyes BBQ that is less expensive. I know a few guys that have on and use it alot.

http://php2.secure-shopping.com/hawgeyes/home.php?cat=29

Big Mike

I bought that one ( smoke pistol) a while back for my la caja China. But the PolyScience one is well rated, and more practical when you don't need a whole cannister of smoke wood. You see them used often on food shows.

PolyScience was founded by a Foodie techno-geek (I say that with respect) here in the Chi-Town area,and they also market the anti-griddle and some awesome sous-vide equipment.

I can think of some old high school pals that would have LOVED a smoking gun:rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Back