Butt Size for Money Muscle?

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Curious about the size of a pork butt to get a nice money muscle from. About what is the minimum butt that will have this lovely morsel big enough to slice for a competition turn-in box? I understand you need to look at each particular cut. Thanks bros!

I tend to lean towards 7.5-8.5 lbs. Like you say the key is to get a look at the muscle during your selection.

I tend to lean towards 7.5-8.5 lbs. Like you say the key is to get a look at the muscle during your selection.
Bingo!

This weekend we did a practice cook... Two butts, one 7# and one close to 10#... To be honest, the MM 10 pounder was only slightly larger than the one off of the 7 pounder.

bigger = better

O.K., not that I know something that Pickled Pig doesn't, but just a thought - depending on the producer and distributor - you can have a huge pork butt but not alot of money muscle, can't you? I saw a huge Birkshire butt in February (~10 lbs) with almost no money muscle. Maybe that's not the norm - but apparently it is for this particular producer/packer.

O.K., not that I know something that Pickled Pig doesn't, but just a thought - depending on the producer and distributor - you can have a huge pork butt but not alot of money muscle, can't you? I saw a huge Birkshire butt in February (~10 lbs) with almost no money muscle. Maybe that's not the norm - but apparently it is for this particular producer/packer.

That is true, though in general a heavy butt is better. Some packers leave more MM on the butt than others. If you want to maximize the size of this piece, you can buy shoulders and part them yourself. Otherwise, the best strategy is to buy meat where you can pick through a large selection to find one you are happy with.

I search through cases of butts to find the ones that have nice larger money muscles. I have cooked really small butts that had really great money muscles. It all depends on he butt.

Back