My Smoker Build along

Wow, that looks great but I have to admit that I would be really scared cooking with it. I turned my head and my UDS was up in flames and burnt the 550 degree paint on the outside..... Stay close to that thing!

Now I built the doors. I cut out some 3/8" plywood that was slightly larger than the door openings. I then measured and cut some more car siding and finish nailed it in place on the doors. I will show a picture of it later in this thread.

Next up is the staining of the OUTSIDE of the smoker. Do not stain or paint anything inside your smoker! I chose Thompson Water Seal Deck and House Semi-Transparent Oil Stain. The shade is called "Russet". This picture shows not only the cooler but the construction of the door. I also lined the inside of the door with 1x in order to help better seal the door.

Attachments

• DSCN2139.jpg
    DSCN2139.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 325
As you may have noticed in the last picture, I hung the door with standard metal hinges and latches. I am attaching a picture of the best latch I could find. A pull clamp would probably do a better job of pulling the door snug but I could not find any when I was building this.

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 322
I found this thermometer at Bass Pro Shops and I think it was $49.

Attachments

• DSCN2124.jpg
    DSCN2124.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 322
This is wild, def a first for me. So you have a propane burner under wood chips and a water pan in a wood box. I like it! How high of a temp would you feel comfy going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The next thing I did was cut a small hole in the side of the smoker to run the propane line from the tank to the smoker. I took the piece I cut out and screwed a hinge on it and put it back on the smoker. Besides being a good way to run the line, this hole has proven to be very useful. It allows you to peak into the smoker without having to open up the door and lose a lot of heat. i strongly recommend you put one of these on your smoker.

Attachments

• DSCN2147.jpg
    DSCN2147.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 322
Here is a picture that shows the burner door open and the fact that the main door to the smoker can stay closed.

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I guess I forgot to mention the height of the smoker. It stands 6' tall without the casters so probably about 6'4" or so on the casters. It is a really good height.

Now that the hard part is done, I will post some Pron of things that I have smoked in this smoker. The first one is a turkey I smoked for Thanksgiving. I only did one but I figure I could fit 4 in there at one time. It was the best turkey I have ever had (and everyone else thought it was ridiculous).

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 302
Here are some venison snack sticks pre and post smoker. They were tasty!

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 301
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 299
Tomorrow I am going to smoke these summer sausages and some more snack sticks!

Attachments

• photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 299
Back