Insulated Cabinet Style Smokers

hogzgonewild

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Guys,

After this past weekend's competition, I'm considering trading up to a cabinet style smoker, like a Stumps. The fact that I could roll it out of my garage on the weekend to use and then roll her up on a 5X10' trailer to take to competitions seems a whole lot easier, especially since I could attach it to a Digi-Q and forget about the temp.

So, this is what I need from you guys (Please :) )....

A. Who all has one, and what are the Pro's and Con's to them?

B. What companies are out there that I can compare? I know of Stumps, TNT smokers, Backwoods smokers, ????????????

Thanks Guys!

Don't forget to look at Spicewine cookers.
The FEC100 is also an insulated "cabinet cooker" if you want to look at pellets.

superior, dw kountry cookers are a few more to look at.
If im not mistaken they are close to you as well.

I have cooked on a stumps. If you have any questions about them pm me.
If you are looking for a gravity fed smoker, Stumps is the way to go IMHO. They are available in a wide variety of sizes and prices depending on your needs and budget.
jon

jonboy,

What is the big difference between the Junior and the Prince? they look to be about the same, with slight width, height changes...but very slight.

thanks!

Love my Backwoods. Here's my list of Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • Capacity - Coming from a Big Green Egg, I have tons more capacity.
  • Footprint - can't put a stick burner in my driveway due to the HOA, so this is a great way to get capacity in a small footprint. Just go vertical.
  • Temperature Control - Not as fuel efficient as a Big Green Egg, but I don't know of anything that is. I can "set it and forget it" for 6-8 hours at a time. Long enough to get some sleep. It also supports draft control devices nicely.
  • Finished product - the results are as good as any cooker I've used.
  • Build Quality - They're very well built and perform as advertised.

Cons:
  • Portability - or lack thereof. These things are heavy. I put big casters on my Pro Jr. and I roll it in and out of the garage when I cook. Leaving home with it is difficult due to the weight. There's no putting this thing in the back of your pickup.
  • Water Pan - This could be a pro or a con depending on your perspective. Frankly, I like the finsihed result, but cleanup of the non-removable water pan is a PITA.
  • Mess - the ash pan, charcoal basket, and even the cooking grates will leave quite a mess on the ground in front of the cooker. I have the grease spots on my driveway to prove it.

I can't speak to all the other cookers that are listed here, but I can say that the Backwoods rocks. Heck, I'm on my second one!

Cheers,
Braddog

Love my Backwoods.... But my next one will be a Pitmaker Vault model I do believe. Check out the Pitmaker stuff on YouTube their stuff is top and very well made.

I have cooked on both, the Stumps and Backwoods. They are both excellent smokers and are very different. I am biased toward the Backwoods because I like the draft of the Backwoods and the option of the built in water pan...you can run it dry or wet. Our food seems to be more consistent on a Backwoods than the Stumps we used. a couple of comparisons from my experience:
1. The Backwoods cookers seemed to recover much faster for us
2. The Backwoods are typically lighter in weight and easier to transport
3. When really full of food the Backwoods did a better job for us I think due to the type of draft they use
4. Stumps has a gravity feed which is nice
5. You can get the stumps in different colors which is nice. Mike only has one color...black!
6. Backwoods has a better size variety

The Superior, TNT, and the DW's are also very good cookers to consider. I think you'll need to do some homework on each one and go with the one that fits your cooking style the best..can't go wrong with any of them. If you want to test drive a Backwoods let me know. I'm right up the road from you.

I can't say enough good things about Spicewine.
I have their Large model cooker and it is amazing. It is super heavy, but
you will never need to but another cooker. You should check out there web site
or the For Sale Section of this site. Spicewine has there own section that you can read.

I have never cooked on a Backwoods so I can't comment on them other then to say that most people who use them say they are great.

Good luck with your choice.

I'm a brand new backwoods owner, so I can't say anything about the other brands, and I only have 2 cooks under my belt so far. With that being said, the Backwoods was rock solid. I got it up to 250, and it didn't budge all day long, and even having the door open for a longish period of time didn't make much difference. It was pretty efficient too. I filled up the charcoal basket with kingsford blue, ran it for about 6 hours, and there's still probably a third of the basket left.

I might have a different opinion in a few months, but I couldn't be happier with it right now.

Stumper here. Never cooked on a BW or SW but I can tell you my food has gotten alot better with my Stretch than it was with a stick burner. Learning curve is minimal and SET IT AND FORGET IT!!! I have an 18 month old and I cooked 4 butts, 8 slabbs of ribs and 4 whole birds... AT ONCE while watching him. I push it out of the garage and onto a 5x8 trailer by myself. It is one great smoker. Look around at any comp you go to and you'll see who's who. If you have any questions give the shop a call. Their website does not have all the newest models. THey are too busy building smokers!!! Great customer service.

Spicewines are build like brick chithouses. It could be the last cooker you ever need they are built so well. With your DigiQ and a Charcoal Basket it will hold temp forever. In the words of Ron Popeil, "it is set it and forget it". If you like to sleep at comps an insulted box smoker is definetely the way to go and Spicewine is one of the best.

I have a Pitmaker Vault and I like it very much. Once heated up, it holds for a long time. I have only cooked on it 4 times now, so a couple of the heat ups went past where I wanted it and...well, due to the insulation and efficiency of it; it won't come down very quick at all. It is similar to the Egg in that respect. You have to catch it on the way up and stop it.

Back