Smoking Boneless Country Style Ribs - Need Advice

J

jrd

Hey all, as the title suggests I am going to be smoking some boneless Country Style Ribs this afternoon and I was just wondering how you all do yours? This is my first attemt at these.

Thanks!
John

Last edited by a moderator:
From the lack of responses I am guessing most of you don't smoke country style ribs. :)

i usually get a but and cut them up myself, that way I can trim all the fat off. Then I usually grill them.

Country Style Ribs are Pork Butt cut into strips.

We seldom do them, but when we do I grill them nice and slow.

They will smoke up fine also--just don't overcook them or they will become Pork Jerky. :-D
You are not dealing with the "mass" of a butt.

TIM

Just saw your post, I cook them all the time. Pretty straightforward for me. Just rub them up with a rub you like, put them on the kettle indirect at 250F and let them go until probe tender. It makes it in 2 to 3 hours depending on meat and temperature control.

I have also grilled them, I marinade them for 4 hours, then onto the grill, no rub necessary. I will glaze with some thinned BBQ sauce to finish.

Marinade can be really simple, something like a oil and vinegar salad dressing. Or make your own, like a light brine. I often will just throw a couple cups of water and 1/2 cup cider vinegar into a pot, bring up to a slow boil, add 5 or 6 cracked black peppercorns, 2 or 3 whole cloves, a bay leaf, couple tablespoons of salt and then let cool, or ice, add pork and let it sit for a few hours.

I rub them and smoke them at 275 or so, indirect the same as spares. Here, they are cut from a butt so they don't take as long as spares. I also try to buy the ones with good marbeling.

I go by how tender they are as to how long it takes but it is something in the three hour range.

'cause they're not ribs but butt's cut into pieces... Last time I played with them was 15 years ago. I grilled them fairly slow, used some type of seasoning, and as best I recall put a little sauce on them in the last 5+- minutes.... They were ok. I dont really care for them.

I smoke them at a higher temp - 300 to 350 on a reverse flow, they get done pretty fast and are awesome. Let us know how they turn out for you.

Country style ribs are cuts from the end of the loin, worked in a packing plant and the loin department trimmed loins and the end with all of the fatty meat was cut for the country style ribs.

Yup not a fan. Basically u can treat them like a pork chop. Grill them and don't over cook.

love the video,i'm gonna borrow that idea:thumb:

Back