Orchard wood?

hrchdog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If an orchard sprays their trees for bug protection would the prunings be safe to use for smokin wood or not?

If an orchard sprays their trees for bug protection would the prunings be safe to use for smokin wood or not?

Sure. As long as you weren't smoking immediately after spraying. There aren't all that many orchards that aren't sprayed around here and I've used lots of wood from them.

I can't imagine that after six months of sitting outside aging that theres any residual.

The pesticides don't hurt the apples that you eat.....
orchard wood is good wood!! :cool:

I have been using some apple for the last few years from a local orchard here in Long Island and it is great stuff.
I ain't dead yet!:p

Use it.
I've used stuff sprayed with insecticide, and never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm never did me no harm

BTW, I started an insecticide lovers social group, so y'all stop by!

Gotta be something in that water in Wisconsin........

p.s. Vote for me, WIDT.

Check with the orchard, they may use organic pesticides, then you have nothing to worry about. The orchard where I got some wood from used organic...

Thank you for asking this question. You woke me up. I'm glad I didn't get apple wood from a local orchard, last December.

Been using it for years and hasn't bothered me none except for this tick in my left eye and the extra toe I grew!!

Sure. As long as you weren't smoking immediately after spraying. There aren't all that many orchards that aren't sprayed around here and I've used lots of wood from them.

I can't imagine that after six months of sitting outside aging that theres any residual.

That explains a few things!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I make sure that all my smoking wood has been treated for pests first. I hate the thought of cooked bugs in my meat.:icon_shy
I haven't noticed any problems.
freakOfNature.jpg

I used to get my apple wood from a farmer friend of mine and he advised me to get rid of the bark before I used it in the smoker (said any pesticide would only be absorbed in the bark, not into the wood) . I did when it was convenient, but didn't stress about it ( I was using really well seasoned wood from his trimming pile -- if it came off, great, if not, great). Even with the bark on, never hurt me none. If you have a line on an orchard, go for it.

Back