1lb Fatties

2-2-1 is a method for doing beef ribs. 2 hrs on,2hrs foiled,last hour unfoiled.
fatties-a roll of jimmy dean (or other brand) breakfast sausage.roll in spice,rub,or stuff w/ goodies & take to 160-165internal temp. hopethat helped. oops- different fatty thing lol

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

5 hours, even at my low and slow (220) temps, would really cook a 1 pound fattie. They seem to be done in about 3- 3.5h for me.

If I do foil them, it is for the final hour or so. Usually I don't bother.

Yup, sounds about right. 2 spicy, 2 medium, and 1 mild for the wife!
:-D

JimT

2 spicy, 2 extra hot, and 1 for the wife.:twisted:

As to cooking time, about 2 hours works in my cooker most of the time-no foil, just straight cooking [not to imply that foil is gay:shock:]
160-165 internal does it for me, checked with the super-fast and accurate YELLOW Thermopen.

I'm not so big on the foil on my fatties either, I like them to have a little bit of a "bark" on the outside. And I'm usually good at 2.5 hrs at around 250. In my humble opinion, cooking them any lower or slower doesn't make them any more tender or add any more smoke flavor. And besides, that's about as long as I can wait to eat one of 'em...

For eating the same day I go 3 hours on the pit, or 170° and 1 hour resting in foil. (3-1)

For reheating next day I go 2 hours on the pit, 1 hour foiled on the pit with a splash of apple juice, then into the beer fridge. (2-1-BF)

Fantastic! 2 hours on the grill. 2hrs foiled in apple juice. 1hr back on. It really does work. Came out tender and flavorful. I will expand on a good thing. Also concluded, after a summer of going back to no foiling... Foiling your ribs in a juice, makes a diff.

Back