Restaurant Impossible BBQ Craziness

PatioDaddio

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am watching Food Network's Restaurant Impossible and I just had
to share an unbeliveable BBQ quote from Robert "Padded Resume" Irvine.

"...that brisket, after 16 hours in the smoker with the white birch..."

Wow, just wow! That indeed screams restaurant impossible.

John

HAHA Watching the same thing here. When this show first started it seemed like the first few episodes were all italian joints, so I quit watching for a while. It's gotten better though.

I watched it also, a repeat I believe. I've never heard of smoking with birch but what do I know?

I am watching Food Network's Restaurant Impossible and I just had
to share an unbeliveable BBQ quote from Robert "Padded Resume" Irvine.

John

I can't believe they haven't fired that jacka$$... Ever since the "I cooked for the queen - NOT" scandal hit, I've thought of him as a POS. :tsk:

I guess I missed the scandal on Mr. Irvine. That explains why you said "padded resume" in the first post John haha. I never was a fan of him though so I didnt pay any attention if I did hear about it

EDIT: Just read about it on wiki, funny stuff right there

It's all a ratings game, folks. He produces numbers, bad grammar and all. Alton Brown doesn't know JS but the writers paint him as an "expert" and so he's a top-rated talking head on Food Network. Scary.

Lest I sound too jaded, there are some "food celebs" that really know their stuff and can actually cook. However, I'd make a nice charitable donation if Paula would never say "PEEEEEEEEEEE CAN" again :razz:

Lest I sound too jaded, there are some "food celebs" that really know their stuff and can actually cook. However, I'd make a nice charitable donation if Paula would never say "PEEEEEEEEEEE CAN" again :razz:

Or try to speak one sentence with out saying y'all... I get the use of the word, like it and know it's part of the culture, but come on... She uses it way TOO much... :heh:

Or try to speak one sentence with out saying y'all... I get the use of the word, like it and know it's part of the culture, but come on... She uses it way TOO much... :heh:

Y'all need to come to the rural South and y'all would find out in a minute that that is the way we roll y'all. :becky:

As for Mr. Irvine ~ my first thought is he probably knows as much about BBQ as I do about fine dining! Wait, am I confusing my chefs?? :laugh:

Y'all need to come to the rural South and y'all would find out in a minute that that is the way we roll y'all. :becky:

Eeeyup, y'all.

One thing: Irvine was a chef on the celebrity "Chopped".

You can't fake that show: you've got to be able to cook. He nearly won.

His skills impressed me, whether he knows Q, or no.

"Y'all"... and "buttah" :doh:

Robert is a good chef; his shows generally suck. Yep, he's got a big ego, but all us chefs do too!

It's all a ratings game, folks. He produces numbers, bad grammar and all. Alton Brown doesn't know JS but the writers paint him as an "expert" and so he's a top-rated talking head on Food Network. Scary.

Oh, I certainly beg to differ vehemently with your assessment of Alton.
He's a sharp dude who knows his stuff.

John

The biggest reason they brought him back was because Michael Simon, the one that replaced him after he was found out, has the personality of my shoe!!! He may be a great chef, but his camera presence sucks in my opinion. I do think that Robert can cook and should have never embelished his resume. As far as birch, it is a very usable wood. Here is a list of many:

WOOD SELECTION FOR SMOKING & GRILLING
by Bill Wight
Here is a list of woods suitable for smoking:

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.
ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.
ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.
APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.
ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.
BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.
CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.
COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.
CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.
GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.
HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.
LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.
MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.
MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.
MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.
OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.
ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.
PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.
PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.
SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.
WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Carolina,

I know you've got a ton of experience, and now that you've pointed out the birch comments may have been uninformed, I'd note, that I'm now converted somewhat in my choices.

After using fruitwoods, hardwoods are just too heavy for my tastes, most of the time.

Back