IL State Championships - Shannon IL

Relax, and show em how to produce real que. I am more than confident you will do well.

Greg, you guys will have a blast! Relax, have FUN and remember why your really there. Your building memories with great folks that will last a lifetime. No matter what happens it's just a part of the great story. Good luck!

Good luck, guys.

Ron, those desserts sound awesome!

Neil said:
Just checked the map. Can you get there from here? Seems like the organizers for the state championship could find a more easily accessible location.

Just follow the smell

willkat98 said:
If I get cheese cake, its getting a 1.

Unless it comes with a shovel.

Greg, you remember the barbecued Ice Cream guy at our class?

1 is the best score, right? :D

So... I'm just guessing that we'd better hope that you're not judging desserts...

Ron_L said:
willkat98 said:
If I get cheese cake, its getting a 1.

Unless it comes with a shovel.

Greg, you remember the barbecued Ice Cream guy at our class?

1 is the best score, right? :D

So... I'm just guessing that we'd better hope that you're not judging desserts...

Thats one thing that I don't like, and might end up DQ'ing myself.

I have been going back and forth with the organizer a bit, and he insists that all judges will judge all categories.

Don't like that one bit. Thought the optionals should be, well optional (from previous DF and Tim posts, I think they axed for volunteers)

So if you got sour cream, creme cheese, mustard, or any farked up thing (IMO) in your dessert, beans, or sausage, it gets a 1.

I told the guy to use the Mayor of Shannon and the COC. I just don't get it.

Got a small folding camping shovel all ready.

So if you got sour cream, creme cheese, mustard, or any farked up thing (IMO) in your dessert, beans, or sausage, it gets a 1.

Just remember that some cost and a lot of effort goes into making these desserts. I haven't seen the roll call for Shannon yet, but it wouldn't surprise me that 20-30 teams that we were up against at Charleston MO will be there. If that is the case, you are going to see and taste some wonderful desserts. If you must give someone a 6 because you don't like sour cream or cream cheese, then so be it, but don't DQ someone by giving them a 1, in fact, I'm not sure you can give a 1 without the table captain's approval.

Tell Randy and Marla of Ulcer Acres hello from the Belly Brothers and hope to see them at Boone County.

Ron_L said:
. Imagine me walking up and down the beach with a plate full of Habanero-Lime Cheesecake slices, asking friends, family and even strangers to taste it! .

use lots of habenero's--the original recipe only calls for three but ya can kick it up for sure!

Buzz

willkat98 said:
Hope to hook up with Buzz after I judge, and Greg is trying to get a team entered.

Any other Midwesterners entering this one? Would love to pop in and visit you

You darn well better stop by b4 judging too---

see ya

buzz

RE: Re: IL State Championships - Shannon IL

Should be getting results pretty soon.........I've got my pen and paper ready to write them down.....cell phone signal is terrible,

anxiously awaiting results. . .

i will judge the cheesecake if necessary, use lots of dry ice in shipping; it's a li'l warm in Texas right now . . .

Mmmmmm, cheesecake!

OK, I appologize if I don't get this correct.....the cell phone reception was terrible.......

63 teams.....big names there.....

4th in sausage
6th in brisket
17th in ribs

I think he said 40th overall.......
He said he wasn't ready to do another one tomorrow, but he had a great time. Anytime you're cooking, it's a great time!

We're proud of you brother!!

PS: I think Greg said Buzz (2Fat) was 11th overall.

Greg gave me a call just a bit ago and I do believe you are correct. Sounds like they had a great "1st" outing. Walked the stage twice (top 10 in two catagories).

He said their sausage entry was maple fattie!! :D

Sounds like they had a great "1st" outing. Walked the stage twice (top 10 in two catagories).
Great showing--Congrats!!!!
"Walking is KEWL" :lol:

Can hardly wait for the "inside skinny" from the team :wink:

TIM

I'll let Greg tell the whole story, but it was a great time! We were in a Lion's Club baseball field backed up against a soy bean field, so the sun was relentless, and I think I know how a pork butt feels when its in the cooker, but it was a blast. Kick has our results correct.

The dessert received mixed results. We talked with Buzz on Friday and he mentioned that they had tried this same recipe a few times, and they also had mixed results. One judge gave it all 9's, one gave it a 6 for taste, but the rest gave it 7s or 8s. We came in 20th for dessert. The winning dessert was homemade ice ceram (did i mention that is was over 90 degrees) and second place was a pecan pie.

Kick, we meant Randy of Ulcer Acres and he rememered you guys and says hello. I have a picture of him by his rig that I will post later. They received the Land Of Lincoln Trophy for the highest placing Illjinois-based team, so they had a great outing.

We bombed in chicken and pork. Lesson learned. Don't experiment at a competition. THat is why we ended up 40th overall.

Had a blast! met great people! Learned a lot!

Tired, going nighty night now.

Don't experiment at a competition.

Well! That's a big "no POOPIE", isn't it?? :D Congrats on a successful outing - hey, you walked twice!

Now you are mentally prepared for Grillkings!

Back