Akorn madness

K

KyleOH

Hey guys thanks to the site I decided to get the akorn. I read nothing but good about it. I picked it up at lowes came home and built it then fired it up. I cleaned everything and oiled it up then let it bake off. I later made some delicious steaks and potatoes. Not satisfied as I never am, I ordered a guru for it over night for this weekends 18hr brisket smoke. I could not be happier! After 5 hours the pit is holding 225 like a champ and it is -15 with wind chill tonight. Thanks for helping me spend in all the right places brethren!

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD

Sorry pictures didnt post from my tablet. Trying from laptop.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kyle, you really don't have to spend 18 hours on a brisket with the Akorn. I think you will find that it will take a lot less time. I have been doing smaller briskets in 5-6 hours. What are you using for a heat deflector?

Kyle, you really don't have to spend 18 hours on a brisket with the Akorn. I think you will find that it will take a lot less time. I have been doing smaller briskets in 5-6 hours. What are you using for a heat deflector?

Pyle's right, no reason to wait that long. crank it up to 275-300. thank us later.

What ya recommend? It is a 8lb flat. I was told 225 2hr per lb, foil@12hr.

Pyle I am using the pizza pan and water pan method.

What ya recommend? It is a 8lb flat. I was told 225 2hr per lb, foil@12hr.

Last flat I did was about 11lbs. I put it on the smoke at 350*. It hit 165 about 2.5hrs in. Then I wrapped it and put it back on. It probed like butter about 2-2.5 hours later.

Congrats on the Akorn. They are good products.

I've never given much thought to the Guru for mine. It holds 225 on it's own with minimal adjustment.

Congrats on the Akorn. They are good products.

I've never given much thought to the Guru for mine. It holds 225 on it's own with minimal adjustment.

I dont see how you can, with mine no way. With minimal fuel and the top draft at .25 open, and it is below 0 out, the guru had trouble holding that low of temp. Anything lower than that the fire would just go out. Not saying impossible, but again that is grate level temps not the dome thermo.

Last flat I did was about 11lbs. I put it on the smoke at 350*. It hit 165 about 2.5hrs in. Then I wrapped it and put it back on. It probed like butter about 2-2.5 hours later.

Thanks for the reply but I am looking for way lower cooking temps, any suggestions for 225-250 cooking lengths?

Just got my Akorn Friday!!! Love it! Burgers last night cooked at 650 degrees, juicey and great crust. Planning on doing a butt Sunday..... Thanks Brethren for turning me on to this machine!!! :-D

Back