Fake EVOO

Italy Greece and Spain got busted a decade ago and it is ongoing.
One company was adding chlorophyl to low end OO to give it that grassy greeness.
Best to buy locally grown.Or Australian!:-D:thumb:

I bought a 64oz can at one of my local stores, labeled under their "gold" label, the stuff was so bitter and bad I absolutely couldn't use it. Into the garbage it went, I now wonder if it wasn't what they advertised it as.

Yep, there is a lot of crap labeled EVOO and Balsamic vinegar that ain't worth the bottle they put it in. Do your homework. However, I do remember a Rachel Ray show where they tasted Balsamic vinegars that ranged from the good stuff to the cheap stuff and they did a blind taste test. Many preferred the cheap stuff. Guess if you like the taste that is really the most important thing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hXXrB3rz-xU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

meat glue

I have been using the Primo brand from GFS;I'm not sure I would know the difference in virgin-extra virgin.
Being an agricultural product,won't there be some natural variation?And,will there not be a couple of processors marketing to several brands?
As I said,my palate probably wouldn't know the difference-but some that I serve may......T

I bought a 64oz can at one of my local stores, labeled under their "gold" label, the stuff was so bitter and bad I absolutely couldn't use it. Into the garbage it went, I now wonder if it wasn't what they advertised it as.
No mate, that was the taste of rancid OO.
Should have taken it back.
Buy local fresh OO of any description.You can't buy bulk and save with OO's, it has a short shelf life so buy in portion sizes you will get through in twelve weeks.
Keep it air/light tight.
Those 'wine box' tap containers are best, as air and light cannot get to the oil. Otherwise buy small portions of local.
Never let it get flames on it or burn it at high temps.
HTH

Good to see that Kirkland (Costco brand) was on there as legit, as that is where I buy my EVOO.

Where do you propose that I buy local in New England? Don't really have any of those trees in these parts.

Back