Brining brisket

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone brine their brisket before smoking it?
I am currently going to culinary school and we are making bbq next week so we started preparing in class night and the chef (instructor) had me make a brine to brine the brisket over the weekend.
I asked the chef if this would turn the brine into pastrami and he said no.
Being a member of this forum for a while, I've never heard of anyone brining a brisket before.
So my question is, does anyone here brine their brisket before smoking it?

I never have because brisket doesnt need the flavor IMO!!! let us know how that turns out???:confused: Curious cookers want to know

It may not turn it into pastrami, but you can be pretty sure it'll NOT taste like brisket from the smoker. Heck, it might even remind you of corned beef.

Sounds like an instructor that has no clue about actual bbq. Would agree that brining would lose the natural flavor of brisket. However, they want to change the taste of everything using added flavors to serve in a restaurant somewhere. Simple, however good it might be, is not in their way of thinking. Have fun in the classes.

Cooked low and slow hot and fast injected never brined. Let us know how this goes?

Brine or Marinade?

What are the ingredients of the Brisket brine???

When you say brine was it an actual salt brine or more of a soak/marinade?

Interesting. Are you supposed to bring in a crock pot for the next class :becky:

I am interested to hear how it turns out though.

Brine: Water, salt, garlic, pickling spice, tinted curing mix (tcm).

Sounds like you are having a lesson in Charcuterie and will be smoking Pastrami.

But hey- If its BBQ he's instructing, maybe he knows something we don't. I'm not knocking it, I'd be curious to hear about the results.

Lately I've been marinating Briskets and Tri-Tips and I like the flavor for a change of pace.

Brine: Water, salt, garlic, pickling spice, tinted curing mix (tcm).

UH... yeah thats how you make Corned Beef... :thumb: Dont worry it'll taste good. Just make sure you leave it long enough to cure right through. 3-4 days for a brisket under 10 lbs...

My Pastrami Thread

(you make corned beef before you smoke the pastrami)

Cheers

UH... yeah thats how you make Corned Beef... :thumb: Dont worry it'll taste good. Just make sure you leave it long enough to cure right through. 3-4 days for a brisket under 10 lbs...

My Pastrami Thread

Cheers

Dats da fac jack

No, he is cooking it like a New York deli. That is the culinary method. I'm sure it will be fine but it won't be BBQ.

There are a lot of folks that do this, in some parts of Canada, they refer to a cured brisket that is smoked as smoked beef, from what I have heard, it is not the same as corned beef. Although, corned beef really refers to a salt-cured brisket and nothing more. From my perspective, anytime we are injecting briskets with salt-heavy injections, we are, de facto brining briskets. I have to say, the use of pink salt is going to affect color. The amount of salt actually will also define the nature of how the meat is changed. If the soak time and sodium content is properly balanced, it won't cure the meat. I am interested on how this goes.

Just wanted to let you guys know that the brisket turned into corned beef.
My instructor insisted that it was bbq brisket because we rubbed it and made an au jus from the drippings, but it definitely wasn't brisket like we're used to making.

You should have told him he was smoking crack, pulled out your handy-dandy UDS and told him, "This is how you make BBQ Brisket."

My Pastrami Thread

Cheers

:wink: Im'a be a jerk and say I told yah so... :becky: Just kiddin Brother... That instructor should practice what he preaches... THEN he would have known what the outcome of his "lesson" would have been.

So how did it turn out?? Did the recipe at least give you some good [smoked] corned beef? You should get some nice sammys out of it. :thumb::thumb: Been corning a bit of beef lately. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Cheers

Back