Ribs, Slaw, Cornbread, Wampus Beans, & a Sundae.

JazzyBadger

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So I've been hankering for some ribs for about a month, and I've wanted to make Wampus beans for a looong time now. Finally got my wish a few days ago, and ate GOOD.

Started with making some maple sausage a few days before the cook:
IMG_0280.jpg

Added all the ingredients together and made a paste, ground up the pork, and added the paste in layers as I kneaded it into the pork.
IMG_0285.jpg

Done and done:
IMG_0286.jpg

Day before the big rib cook I cooked up the fatty right quick on the Kettle.
IMG_0316.jpg

Next day came around - whipped up some buttermilk coleslaw, and I started the beans. Started by breaking the fatty down in the food processor:
IMG_0318.jpg

Cooked up the bacon, threw the veggies into the pot after I pulled the bacon out:
IMG_0314.jpg

Cooked up the beans in the pressure cooker - added some Famous Dave's Thick and Sassy, frozen peaches, bourbon, and all the other good stuff in the recipe found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109907

End result:

IMG_0319.jpg

Set that in the oven, and I started on the ribs.
Now, as some may know I'm not a communist. Because of this I do not take membranes off, I do not trim. I MIGHT trim if I plan on doing something special with the meat in the next day, but I don't mind spitting out bits of cartilage. It's part of the primal instincts I harbor. I make grumbly, gnawing noises, spit the pieces out on the plate, sometimes the floor, wipe my hands clean on my hair, and then beat my chest and let out a most bodacious roar. Anyway, I digress.

Most of my family hates spares, be they trimmed, untrimmed, whatever. They like country style, so I made some of those up too.
Hit the spares with some Plowboys jerk, and the country with some Yardbird. My Mudda bought me some of this the last time she was at the mall, and so I figured why the Hell not?
IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Pit came up to temp. Threw the beans on Big Spidey on the bottom grate to catch the drippings. Put some country ribs along the outside edge of the bottom rack, rolled up the spares and skewered them, and threw them all on the pit. This was taken a couple of hours into the cook when I was rotating the country ribs:
IMG_0325.jpg

Whipped up a glaze with a lot of pepper jelly, and some homemade B.B.Q. sauce I had in the refrigerator. Pulled the beans off, laid out the spares, and glazed it all up to cook for about 15 minutes more.
Finished products:
IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

I had preheated a cast iron skillet in the oven, and whipped up some cornbread batter. Pulled the skillet from the oven, melted some butter in there, threw the batter in, and tossed it on a freaking HOT Kettle. Cornbread was done in about 20 minutes. It was ready as soon as I went out to check on it after I had pulled the ribs:
IMG_0340.jpg

Put it together, and here's what you get:
IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

After dinner I whipped up some hot fudge topping:
IMG_0348.jpg

While that was cooling I pulled out the ingredients for some ice cream:
IMG_0350.jpg

Tossed it all into my Blendtec, and made up some ice cream sundaes for the family.
IMG_0359.jpg

A meal enjoyed by all.
Thanks for looking.

Buttermilk slaw? I'm intrigued. Nice grub too, even for an Imperialist American Stooge.

Wow, looks good. How is the ice cream made in the Blendtec?

Pretty simple all things considered. The recipe I used came from: http://www.blendtec.com/blog/2013/08/30/13-ice-cream-recipes/
First one on the list - plain ol' vanilla.
The one thing to pay a great amount of attention to is the ratios. They need to be freaking exact for it to come out properly.
I use the Ice Cream setting on my Blendtec, and sometimes I'll give it a few pulses for it to come together.
If it doesn't come out right then chances are that the ratios weren't exact. I speak from experience in this regard.

Killer meal Next time with the beans try peach pie filling instead of frozen peaches
I thought about doing that, but I'm watching my calories in this day and age. This was my cheat day, but I still try to keep it in check when I'm splurging.
Also I wanted it on the spicier side rather than the sweet.
I'm sure the original incarnation is just as good, and probably actually better, but with the sundae and the sweet ribs I'm not sure I could've handled the peach pie filling as well.

Buttermilk slaw? I'm intrigued. Nice grub too, even for an Imperialist American Stooge.

Pretty simple really. I add about 1/4-1/3 cup of buttermilk into some mayo, finely dice some onion, shred the cabbage and carrot, and throw in a touch of sugar, and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar.
Comes together really great. I used to make 'yankee slaw' like my family used to make, but my family didn't like it much, so I went for more of a 'southern slaw' and I thought to myself, "What the Hell's more southern than buttermilk?" They gobble that stuff down hardcore, so I call it a win.
More cabbage I can force down their gobs the better.

Back