What do you pellet poopers do for smoke flavor?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am wondering what folks who use a FEC etc type cooker use to augment the smoke flavor of the pellets or do you simply use whatever the pellet composite is for the smokey flavor?

Are there hot spots where a foiled set of wood chips would give off smoke etc? I have a GMG Daniel Boone and I do the above foiled technique, but I'm thinking about getting something bigger like a FEC100 and this has me a bit perplexed.

Thanks guys.

Since you are "thinking about getting" I'll give you my opinion. We cooked with an FEC our first year. Great product and they let you get some sleep. We could not get the amount of smoke we wanted on the meat so we switched to a Jambo. We had some different things recommended and tried several but to us none seemed to really work. I know CS now makes an FEC120 so my guess is they may have addressed this. I would look into it.

The brand and type of pellet will do more for smoke flavor than any add-on. If you're cooking in competition be careful about over-smoking if you go the Smoke Daddy or some similar route. Try 100% hickory pellets from a major source. 100% oak is good, too. I can over-smoke with these if I'm not careful.

Setup next to a guy running a FEC100 and he ended up placing. Asked him what he did for smoke and he said use 100% hickory or oak pellets. Another friend has an FEC100 and has not had as good a luck. Talked to him about the quality of his pellets. Quality of the pellets makes the difference!!

I don't have a problem with the smoke, although you can add lump or chunk (lit) on a cookie cooling rack in the belly while it is running if you want. It's just a cleaner burn, but the smoke is easily applied.

Thanks for the info guys. Good to know about the quality of the pellet itself. Anyone have specific suggestions there? BBQ Delight/Traeger etc?

The quality is key. BBQ'ers and Fast Eddy's, both are the best for flavor and smoke.I know both care very much about their products and have stayed on top for that reason. Plus they're both excellent competition cooks which relates to product knowledge. Steve.

I went with the obvious.

Burn wood.

I made a small firebox out of a 3x5x4 inch stailess steel steam table type tray.... Drilled a bunch of holes in it and then added 4 legs out of screws.

fill it with lump, get it lit, and keep a few good size chunks burning in it throughout the cook.

Either that, or just rest 2 chucks on the edge of the firepot.

supplements smoke, AND smoke ring.

I agree. Of all the things we tried the wood chunks on the side of the firepot worked best. As far as pellets go we always had better results when we used BBQ'ers Delight. Talk to Candy when you call.

Tried every kind of pellet available in my Dansons Country Smoker for three years. BBQ Delight, Traeger, Fast Eddy, Branch Creek, 100% hickory, 2/3 oak & 1/3 hickory, oak & pecan, etc. Long, extended, low temp cooks, also used add on smoke generators, extra wood chunk burn boxes, you name it, the end result, a "hint" of smoke flavor was the most I could ever get. Always tender, moist and looked great, but might was well have cooked it in the oven. Hamburgers turn out decent and pizzas turn out ok as well. Cooked biscuits on it once. No one ever suspected they were cooked on a bbq grille. Not a trace of smoke flavor when cooking at high heat.

Finally gave up and went back to a stick burner, an American BBQ Systems "All Star". Real smoke flavor has returned and BBQ life is good again!!

I have not had my GMG for very long, but prefer the GMG pellets. I have purchased a bag of Traeger premium pellets and was not impressed. Went through the bag very quickly I thought. Here is Washingtion, we can also get a brand call Bear Mountain. They are made local. I have a friend that has used them, but I have not. I was going to stop by Cash and Carry and pick up a bag of Bear Mountain and give them a try.

Also with the traeger flavored pellets, they just add oil to the oak pellets. Their apple wood pellets just have apple flavoring added.

As for the smoke flavor and smoke ring on the meat, I have done three briskets on my GMG and gotten very good results. The first two I cooked at 210 degrees and got a very distinct smoke ring and flavor. The last one I cooked at 230 and also over cooked it :icon_blush:. It also didn't show a very deep smoke ring, but it was well done as well.

I have been using a FEC 100 in comps after using BGE's. My opinion on smoke is that it's there to complement the meat like any other flavor. The FEC does that. If you want the smoke to have a heightened flavor in your product it won't do that unless you add a wood chunk or use another method. I've been cooking most everything around 250 w/ Fast Eddy mesquite pellets and have placed relatively well. If you like it smokey, the FEC isn't for you.

My favorite mesquite is Barbequer's Delight. Favorite 100% hickory is either Fast Eddy's or Cookingpellets.com

Fact: If you want heavy smoke flavor you'll never get it with a pellet cooker. Pellets burn clean. They will produce smoke at lower temps and properly used it will be just the right amount to combine with the meat flavor, sauce, rubs, etc. for a great balance. I get excellent smoke flavor from mine but I want multiple flavors, not just smoke.

A month or so ago I obtained a Traeger Texas 075 and I have been using a combo of BBQers Delight Pecan & Cherry...I get plenty of smoke flavor and smoke ring on my Brisket and Chicken (both have scored top ten in the last month).

Back