• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gas vs. Charcoal for high heat grilling

I have a Gasser, Weber Performer Charcoal and Stickburner Smoker and when I cook steak, usualyl NY Strip or Tenderloin I do it on the Gasser on my Grill Grates (which are awesome) since the meat is on the grill for 5min at most I don't see the point in firing up the Weber. Not to mention the amount of charcoal needed to get 700+ degree temp on the charcoal for 2 tenderloin steaks seems a little crazy.

So, are you in my corner bro?? :pray: A 5-10 (even 15-20) minute HOT cook does not make a difference in the finished product?? In my experience, cooking on a Weber gasser w/ Grill Grates generates an OUTSTANDING "grilled" product!!!!! As good as any charcoal cooker that I have used... IMO.

So, are you in my corner bro?? :pray: A 5-10 (even 15-20) minute HOT cook does not make a difference in the finished product?? In my experience, cooking on a Weber gasser w/ Grill Grates generates an OUTSTANDING "grilled" product!!!!! As good as any charcoal cooker that I have used... IMO.

Yes, agreed.

My steaks take 4 minutes to medium rare on my gas catalytic burner and traditional grates. I cook steak too often, year round, to use my charcoal grill on a near daily basis. PITA with rain falling and dinner needing to be on the table. I won't disagree with the charcoal or "smoke kissed" crowd, but other than my shirt smelling like smoke I can't tell much difference. Oh, and my gasser is ready to go and finished/shut down before charcoal would even be ready to start and I use the burner for the sauteed onions and shrooms and/or green beans with garlic. What ever floats you boat is the way to go. YMMV!

Another moment of honesty...:clap2: I also will not disagree with the charcoal or "smoke kissed" crowd... but I seriously cannot tell much, if any difference.

I have never owned or cooked on a gasser that could make the BTUs I get from coals on my Weber kettles. So, I don't get the quick char I like on my steaks.

As for grilling up chicken parts, seafood, brats or burgers, I'm okay with gas. That kind of grilling doesn't require very high heat.

CD

I have never owned or cooked on a gasser that could make the BTUs I get from coals on my Weber kettles. So, I don't get the quick char I like on my steaks. CD

Curious... how hot do you take the kettles before throwing down a steak? With Grill Grates, I have no problem hitting an easy 650-700 (could take it even hotter with the sear burner if I want too), leaving crazy grill marks and a to die for crust.

Assuming you aren't using wood smoke in your charcoal, and assuming you can achieve similar temperatures (which I am unable to do on my gas grill), i.e., so we are comparing like with like, I really don't think it makes a discernible difference. Maybe my palate isn't as refined as others here. That said, I like a kiss of smoke, and my gas grill doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my OTG, so I use the gasser primarily for convenience, for extra space when needed, and for veggies.

For high heat grilling? Seriously?? "Not even close??" What's the BIG difference? I just don't get it...

With wood in the mix, the difference is in flavor. Much better with the wood in there. With that said, I cook steaks on the gasser pretty frequently-I can have them cooked before the charcoal gets ready, and I didn't just spend $5 worth of charcoal to cook a $12 steak. And they still taste pretty durn good.

Are you selling grill grates or something? Why are you beating this to death?

I can definitely tell the difference and I was once a die hard gasser.

You can't tell the difference, and that's fine, everyone has different tastes. But why berate the people that do?

I say yes I can. But I have never done a blind taste test. Now that would be an interesting test.

With wood in the mix, the difference is in flavor. Much better with the wood in there.

I have used plenty of wood/charcoal mix on other cookers when grilling... the difference to me is soooo subtle that is almost non-existent. And those I cook for agree. I/we must have a shortage of taste-buds... :cry:

I bet a blind taste test of some steaks/chops/chicken/etc. cooked over gas vs charcoal/wood would surprise some folks 8).

TIM

Are you selling grill grates or something? Why are you beating this to death?

I can definitely tell the difference and I was once a die hard gasser.

You can't tell the difference, and that's fine, everyone has different tastes. But why berate the people that do?

Not trying to beat this to death... nor trying to sell anything... and definitely not putting anyone down my friend. I am just curious why most people swear by charcoal grilled food, when I (me personally) cannot tell the difference. That's all.

Someone once said to me that cooking with gas was cheating and kinda lazy. I then asked about his charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid. He didn't see the parallel I was making

Not trying to beat this to death... nor trying to sell anything... and definitely not putting anyone down my friend. I am just curious why most people swear by charcoal grilled food, when I (me personally) cannot tell the difference. That's all.

Without woodsmoke in the mix, there just isn't much difference, except for a psychological one, I suspect.

I hate the taste of those charcoal bricks maybe lump would be ok But I always grill over a wood fire

Back