2017 Kamado Joe

Doc_Holliday

Got Wood.
Reaction score
For those interested in the "new" KJ cooker, (and wanting the Costco pricing) I understand that it will be offered at the roadshows starting March 1st. The price is going from $1499 to $1899 retail, of course Costco will discount them 25%. I'm really liking the improvements that have been made to the KJ. Especially the new hinge. Lifting the lid on the Big Joe is no joke so that new hinge will be especially nice.

Here's an article outlining the changes for those interested. I'll be getting my BigJoe next month!

http://www.firecraft.com/blog/first-look-kamado-joe-2017-updates

KJ is hands down the most innovative ceramic kamado company there is!!! Their service and product is top notch!! And Costco roadshows make it a no-brainer if you are in the market for a kamado.

KJ is hands down the most innovative ceramic kamado company there is!!! Their service and product is top notch!! And Costco roadshows make it a no-brainer if you are in the market for a kamado.

Their sales reps have been very easy to work with. Like, above and beyond what one would expect. I'm really excited to enter the world of Kamado cooking.

There you go Matt. Perfect timing. Can't go wrong with KJ and they consistently improve their product. Way cool!

Not happy about the price jump though.. Might make me stick with the 18"

Yep! The prices increase significantly each year with improvements. I remember about 5 years ago you could buy a classic for $799 and even less. Prices have almost doubled now.

I struggled with this decision but I went ahead and bought the Big Joe this week at the Augusta, GA roadshow. Actually pick it up Sunday as I bought the floor model that came with the free Joe Jr. I like the upgrades but just not sure I would want to pay $400 more for them when it is a great cooker as is.

I agree! KJ has there SH*T together. Most innovative Kamado company I know. Always looking to make things better. they truly are best bang for the buck!

In that price range Matt you've gotta look at the Weber Summit charcoal!

$400 more? Meh. I don't see these changes being significant enough to justify the increase in price. A lot of time new just means more marketing mumbo jumbo to justify the change, where the previous model is just fine.

Man that thing just doesn't do anything for me. Maybe if i would see it in person i would change my mind. The KJ to me offers way more

Agree...I like the Summit charcoal well enough, but for me I am looking forward to trying out the ceramic cooking. I don't see much difference between the summit and my current Weber Kettle to be honest, certainly not $1500 worth of difference. That said, I've not seen the summit in person.

Agree...I like the Summit charcoal well enough, but for me I am looking forward to trying out the ceramic cooking. I don't see much difference between the summit and my current Weber Kettle to be honest, certainly not $1500 worth of difference. That said, I've not seen the summit in person.

I haven't seen one either, but they would be intriguing if I was in the market for a Kamado. As Babyback Maniac has pointed out it is basically a Kamado and works like one. It has the following benefits over a ceramic:

Superior ash management system
Easier to light charcoal
Lighter and easier to move
Won't crack
Comes with a built in cart and or table
Can move the charcoal grate up or down for searing or smoking
Comes with all of the accessories you need out of the box
If you over shoot your temps, it is easier to get them back down

I haven't seen one either, but they would be intriguing if I was in the market for a Kamado. As Babyback Maniac has pointed out it is basically a Kamado and works like one. It has the following benefits over a ceramic:

Superior ash management system
Easier to light charcoal
Lighter and easier to move
Won't crack
Comes with a built in cart and or table
Can move the charcoal grate up or down for searing or smoking
Comes with all of the accessories you need out of the box
If you over shoot your temps, it is easier to get them back down

All very solid points that I considered, and it's a beautiful unit for sure. I live in an area that wind and snow are an issue in the winter months and I just don't see the summit being as insulated as a ceramic cooker. Not to mention, and this is just me, I'm struggling with the idea of near 2k for stamped metal.

Back