View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #2518
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotkowitz View Post
I have read through the posts. Wow. I am ready to build my first drum.

I have a 55 sealed drum for $20 and also p/u a Weber for $20. I am going to cut off the top of the sealed drum with either a chisel or jig saw. I have a couple of questions which may have been answered. But after all these pages its hard to remember exactly what all the advice was.

1. Is there a better way to remove the lid other then a chisel or Jig saw that does not involve buying a special tool (i.e. lid cutter)?

2. The drum had 5-30 weight oil in It. Should I remove the lid and do a cleaning burn or wait till after I have completed construction?

3. As far as seasoning should I burn, clean then apply pam or some other oil?

4. After the burn off what is the best way to clean/remove the residual crud from inside the barrel?

5. I have seen a few Weber lids. Some are directly on the grill. Others have cut the bottom lip off of the Weber base and placed it in side the grill. Is there a problem with placing directly on the drum? I seem to get a pretty tight fit. Maybe to tight. I do not know/believe it is air tight all the way around.

6. If I go with the bottom base of the Weber and cut it off (may be two inches total), how do you attach it to the drum when you place it inside? Is there an issue with air leakage? I saw some pictures of a members grill that used a Weber top and it leaked all over the outside of the drum because he did not have a good seal.

Thanks for all your help. It is an impressive collection of knowledge.
Scott

1. jigsaw works fine if you did not get an openhead barrel.
2. remove the lid, drill the vent holes in the bottom, then do a burn. You need the vent holes in the bottom to get enough O2 for the burn.
3. and 4. after the burn I wirebrushed the inside manually. It took a few minutes. Then I wiped it down with a damp rag, dried it, and sprayed on a bunch of Pam.
5. I have no comments yet on weber lid sealing.
6. I am shopping around for a weber lid ( or possibly a Uniflame because it comes with hinges) to attach to my UDS. It appears that the domed lids do a good job of letting the nastiness that forms on the inner barrel drain down. The problem seems that much of said nastiness leaks out. I have a thought about welding a 1 inch wide strip of sheet metal inside the lid to create a lip that will cause said nastiness to drip inside the drum and not ruin my beautiful paintjob. ( editors note: since it has been too cold here, last night was 6 degrees, I have not given my drum its beautiful paint job yet. But it will happen, and there will be pictures! )

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote