My new Yoder YS640

nucornhusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, after over a year of research and saving, I got my new cooker. I wanted to get a pellet fired unit so I could smoke food while spending time with my family, and also grill on it if I wanted to. I’ve been eyeing the Yoders for over a year now, and after deciding on which of their three cookers I wanted and wouldn't break the bank (I would have loved the YS1320:wink:) , I decided on the YS640 and ordered it in early February.

_DSC0985_zpsf73087c5.jpg

_DSC0996_zps6e229ea4.jpg

This thing is built like an absolute tank, and it is much more impressive in person than it is looking at pictures.

I had a few options added. A custom tool hanger and probe ports, as well as the door therms you see above. The therms aren’t needed at all, but I just liked the look.

_DSC1052_zps41ecae94.jpg

_DSC1050_zps5b8f2d3e.jpg

I ordered expanded steel grates for the bottom grill surface as well, but I was mis-shipped the regular rolled bar grates. Yoder already sent me the expanded grates.

Any new grill I get, the first cook is steak. Any new smoker I get, the first cook is ribs. So for my first two cooks, I did steak one day, ribs the next.

_DSC1002_zps457aabd7.jpg

_DSC1004_zps19d2633b.jpg

_DSC1010_zps1ae7eeef.jpg

Pretty good grill marks for a pellet grill. I cooked these at 525*. It was a completely different texture than cooking steaks over charcoal. The meat still felt loose like it was raw, but it was cooked just right. It was very juicy and very tender. You can see how tender it is by the way it's bending over my fork. It doesn’t get a great sear, but the flavor and texture was amazing! If I want a better sear, I can just buy Grill Grates and cook directly over the fire. A great option that the Yoder pellet grills offer.

----------------------------------

Ribs rubbed down. The back rack is my comp rub, next is my personal favorite, plain old salt and pepper, then the front two are SM Cherry. One of my assistants was overseeing operations in the background. He knows if Dad is working at that counter, good food is on it's way later. :becky:

I cooked in four different areas so I could get a sense of how even the heat distribution is. No cooker is perfect, but this did a pretty good job.

_DSC1034_zps7bfd5372.jpg

_DSC1042_zps391694d7.jpg

_DSC1076_zps77bac104.jpg

_DSC1077_zpsad1d0cc7.jpg

_DSC1078_zps71e987a0.jpg

_DSC1087_zpsd811ff78.jpg

Great color, tender and juicy and pretty good smoke flavor using Lumberjack pellets. The rib looks a little dry in the picture, but is was not dry at all. This is my first cooker with a second shelf, so I need to learn how to deal with drippings falling and making dark spots on the food below.:oops:

Instead of the usually intermittent puff of smoke I’ve seen from a few other pellet grills, this puts out TBS over the whole cook, and it almost smells like I’m using my stickburner or KJ. I was very impressed with how it smokes food. And it puts out good smoke even at 400*. Having said that, I don't like the heavy smoke flavor you can get from some charcoal smokers, so this was just fine with us.

It’s only been a few days and I know I’m still in the “Honeymoon Phase”, but I’m really liking this cooker so far. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a pellet grill.

Yoder’s and All Things Barbecue’s customer service has been top notch. They are great to work with and will answer all of your questions. And I asked a lot of questions. I will do business with them again in the future.

Nice, all your food looks great. I've never cooked on one of those or even seen one in person, but they are sharp looking grills. I really like the design of it. Congrats, and put that thing to work.

Great post. Food looks outstanding. Looks like you got a fine little helper as well.:-D

Nice Looking Rig and Great Looking Food....

I was looking at a YS1320.... But may have an interest in a used Backwoods Pro Jr listed by Brethren.

The Pro Jr is more than I need, but if the price is right, hey I'll go for it.

Looks AWESOME, the cooker & the food. You should have many, many years of enjoyment from that investment. Cheers!!!

What are those probe holes made of...? is it something that could be retrofited onto mine...or Could buy someplace?

Nice lookin smoker! Them front 2 ribs with the sm cherry did you use molasses glue? They got a pretty color to em

What are those probe holes made of...? is it something that could be retrofited onto mine...or Could buy someplace?

Call Don at Yoder. I'm sure he could sell you the ports and you could drill them in. They are nice because there is a little gasket in them that expands as you unscrew, and contracts as you screw it down, so you can seal it back up a bit once the probes are run though.

Nice lookin smoker! Them front 2 ribs with the sm cherry did you use molasses glue? They got a pretty color to em
Thanks, just straight SM Cherry on them as pictured rubbed. I sauced one of them for my wife, and left one dry for me. The other sauced rack is my comp recipe.

I also forgot to mention how quiet it is. I've been around a few other brands of pellet grills, and you can barely tell the Yoder is even on when it's running. It was a very pleasant shock to me just how quiet it really is. You really don't even hear it unless you are trying to.

Congratulations on your new smoker/grill. I love using the YS640. Order the Grill Grates soon. They work great! I use them alot. You might consider putting HD foil on the front side of the smoker over lapping the front shelf. It will help to keep marinade/grease stains off the smoker. By overlapping the front shelf the grease won't run down behind the shelf and onto your nice orange comp cart. I also cover the side shelf, heat plate, and I line the grease bucket with foil. One of my friends, Malcom Reed, posted a great youtube video on a rib cook he did on a YS480. Check out his website howtobbqright.com to view it. I shared with him the foil tips and he uses them on the video. He has alot of other great stuff there too. Let me know if you have any questions.

Congratulations on your new smoker/grill. I love using the YS640. Order the Grill Grates soon. They work great! I use them alot. You might consider putting HD foil on the front side of the smoker over lapping the front shelf. It will help to keep marinade/grease stains off the smoker. By overlapping the front shelf the grease won't run down behind the shelf and onto your nice orange comp cart. I also cover the side shelf, heat plate, and I line the grease bucket with foil. One of my friends, Malcom Reed, posted a great youtube video on a rib cook he did on a YS480. Check out his website howtobbqright.com to view it. I shared with him the foil tips and he uses them on the video. He has alot of other great stuff there too. Let me know if you have any questions.

Great tips. :thumb:

Now I gotta check into those probe ports. I don't have any on mine and wish I had. Guess I'll have to drill them myself. Thanks for the link husker.

Those dual probe ports are sweet, but I'm a little surprised that a Husker went with a Cowboy Orange comp cart! :-o

Back