Brisket - Night Train in a Dark Closet - for the Funky Only

• Thread starter barbefunkoramaque
  • Start date
DSC07298bcopy-1.jpg

Then I guess there are some of us that could learn a little of something from both lists. :biggrin:​

**Has Pitmaster Donnie T Lost it???**

I don't know? But this sure is frightening!
I had a strange feeling come over me as I walked out on my deck-the Eggs were calling me. I got a Cold Sweat, had Ants in my Pants, I've got 3 Corned Beef Points soaking in a water bath in the garage fridge, knowing full well I need to get on my Brisket game! I opened the lids on the Eggs and felt a presence, hard to describe, it was a feeling in the soul. Could it have been Popdaddy??

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I can't get this out of my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mA2Z5DisA

Give in to the FUNK!!

If I cheat... I cheat with Butcher's paper like the Market's have done for years. I mean its Paper. If its safe enough to wipe your azz with it every day, or 3 times a day then its safe enough to wrap a brisket in right?

Uh.. not the same paper though.

People are horrified when you use paper in the Smoker!
I use it frequently and enjoy it!
No problem with fires either. Low and slow is the key.
I think the paper helps give you just the right texture without making things mushy.

Great post! Thanks.

Weiser

BrownPaperBag_Full.jpg

The next time someone sez "paper or plastic?", say paper. Bags have some advantages over butcher paper.

BRO. This stuff is the CHIT… I LOVE YOUR STUFF… but as I PM’ed you’re FUNK will never be complete without David “Honeyboy” Edwards or Willie “Bigeyes” Smith… Don’t stop keep it comin’

papa come here quick,,, gimmie that lickin' stick\\

Much love back at ya.
However, the rules clearly state:

I want you to go out and buy a simple flat of brisket… about 5 lbs..

and NO SMOKER!!!!

If you already know the feel and are sure of it you can sit this out though.

I don't know? But this sure is frightening!
I had a strange feeling come over me as I walked out on my deck-the Eggs were calling me. I got a Cold Sweat, had Ants in my Pants, I've got 3 Corned Beef Points soaking in a water bath in the garage fridge, knowing full well I need to get on my Brisket game! I opened the lids on the Eggs and felt a presence, hard to describe, it was a feeling in the soul. Could it have been Popdaddy??

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I can't get this out of my head!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mA2Z5DisA

Give in to the FUNK!!

Last edited by a moderator:
dropping a brisket in it... works... plus you can also write on the new bags the customer's order and pack it up in a nice greasy bag for them

Hmmm...the only thing I remember coming home from the butcher in a brown paper bag was "Shine"...:twisted:

So.. how come some guys can make a great and tender brisket WITHOUT wrapping or simmering? Well, round about the 60’s or so, when LBJ was president and there were a lot of Texas functions from NASA events to National Barbecues, Jetton began nixing the huge quarters of beef in favor of the briskets, which were more self baster’s. Now we will ignore the fact he simmered his briskets first, and concentrate on smoking environment and the nature of the brisket and what is going on. If you smoke your brisket at high enough temperature to ensure that the zone around the meat stays at 230 or so, the fat on top begins to crackle and pop and essentially mop that brisket with a FILM of grease that bastes it continuously. When fat is on the bottom, the fat film is still carried upward by natural heat movement, although less efficiently, but you get an added benefit that your flat typically cooks faster (thereby getting done closer to the point’s time) in this position with minimal drying. The closer you try to get to 212 the odds are at some point your brisket will STOP in the process for a moment until the temp gets above 212 again. Target House temp at 270, and smoker temp average of 240s give or take 10 degrees either way and you have NO problem... less drying too.

There are plenty of people who believe that if the fat cap is up, the juice will gravity feed itself thru the brisket. Therfore keeping it moist.

I think it makes more sense that the juice only goes one way. OUT. This is how the self basting effect works. Fat is breaking down and running off of or out of the brisket.

Are we in agreement ?

Back