Saturday Atlanta "Hawgin' for Haiti" Benefit Whole Hog Cook (Ongoing)

At one of the organizers friends (or something) houses to host the party. This place is fairly nice
1CbqZ1Wl.jpg

yWI8DqWl.jpg

hKJQ7rml.jpg

8yvFxcxl.jpg

So all done and had a great time :-D. A smidge tired after the all nighter, but the event ended up great and everyone loved the food. The whole hog was awesome. I had never cooked one or experienced a cooked hog fresh and........damn it is the best pulled pork :becky:.

Running 275-300'ish most of the night it took about 10hrs to get this 115lb hog done. Went on 10:45pm and I crashed for a few hours and then switched off with Eric. Was done around 8:45am. Not to downplay cooking a whole hog, but it did feel as relatively simple as inject, rub and toss on the smoker and smoke till done :loco:. A lot more to move around though :-D

Luckily there was no drama when driving the hog down the highway and once we got to the serving location we fired up chicken, beans and smoked gouda creamed corn.

Having a drink and will probably crash here in a bit. Looking forward to the next hog
kQcW24Tl.jpg

Here are the rest of the random pics
V3whyi2l.jpg

I00dcL2l.jpg

wT0HD43l.jpg

OnCT1bAl.jpg

jE4kNjml.jpg

Qodfsbrl.jpg

rAbhyvAl.jpg

R4CbCZ8l.jpg

9uf9HbVl.jpg

OVXEiOHl.jpg

7QoQmojl.jpg

HhCdSDxl.jpg

lao1KSYl.jpg

cC67Rkml.jpg

eh18lPrl.jpg

jQIu1fGl.jpg

c65yDAal.jpg

J03YM0Dl.jpg

MibmzJ8l.jpg

LBmxwi4l.jpg

lKMk69yl.jpg

zlZfVYWl.jpg

zBn1cvnl.jpg

GLj8t9Vl.jpg

aB0rtp3l.jpg

2xuAB0Tl.jpg

KfU97lEl.jpg

bn4fy8Ll.jpg

ZQoA7Dxl.jpg

gyiTsp3l.jpg

N6GFPzNl.jpg

gTTY2Dkl.jpg

Awesome job Jason! I look forward to seeing you do more hogs. Hope to do one this summer as well and glad to know it was "easy"!

Awesome job Jason! I look forward to seeing you do more hogs. Hope to do one this summer as well and glad to know it was "easy"!

Ya looking forward to the next one. Moving it around was the "hardest" thing. The meat on the ribs was my favorite next to cheek meat, but it all tasted amazing.

Quite a cook there, congrats on executing something like that.

just off hand, did you ever write up how your hunsaker smokers did for you this summer?

What recipe was used with those beans?

Kind of.......so this recipe was 4 #10 cans of beans (pick your type) and makes 2 full pans. I've been working on a recipe that scales into larger quantities that I really like. This one is getting there. There is a little brown sugar in my recipe, but this isn't a sweet baked beans at all. I wanted a savory/earthy recipe.

So I doubled the recipe below

1 #10 Kidney
1 #10 Northern Beans
3 bell peppers
3 medium onions
4 Tbsp dry mustard
Marjorum, Cumin, Sage, Fennel, Coriander, Thyme (add whatever you like)
1/2C BBQ Rub
1.5C Ketchup
1/4C Apple Vinegar
1/2C Molasses
1C Water or not depending on thickness you want
1C Brown Sugar
Salt/Pepper as needed
1/2 C BBQ Sauce
1/4C Sriracha or no hot sauce
1/4C Worchestershire
Add BBQ Meat if you have it

Back