First Brisket on the Brazos!

On the brisket cooks where I've foiled about 1/2 way through I'll have tons of juice left that goes into the container with the leftover brisket and stored in the fridge. Almost doesn't matter how I reheat it. Comes out pretty good.

On the last couple cooks I didn't foil....just let it ride the whole time undisturbed.

This didn't have all that wonderful juice saved. Whatever was in the meat after resting was it. The cold leftovers the next day seemed a bit dry. I put 'em a pan with some beef broth and reheated in the oven and let it rest a bit. Results were certainly better than using a microwave.

I'll be doing a smallish flat on Monday. Planning on using foil when it hits mid 160's. Hoping to save some of that juice on this cook. Heck....I may just do a the whole thing up as lean burnt ends.

Great looking brisket you did there.

How'd you like the Black Ops ? It's about my favorite store-bought brisket rub.

You have that Brazos up and running strong. It's going to be fun watching your cooks on it.

It was the first time I've used the Black Ops rub. It smelled a lot stronger of chili powder than I expected. I had to mix it with some coarse salt and pepper because I don't really like a brisket rub to be too powdery like a rib rub. I feel like the more powdered the rub is the less good crusty bark you get. I did like the final flavor of it but it didn't blow me away like a lot of people say it does. It was good but ill say I deff don't think it's worth the price. I think I can make a rub up on My own that has a similar flavor for a lot cheaper. I may use it again though. Who knows. I have been trying to come up with a brisket rub that combines salt and pepper with Louisiana flavors because my dream is to open a bbq restaurant one day and do bbq with Texas principles (quality meats, offset wood fired smoker, butcher paper, meat cut to-order) with Louisiana flavors. I thought about maybe grinding some crushed red pepper flakes and adding that to the mix and doing a slather that includes Louisiana hot sauce. For this brisket I just used mustard, which I know is popular in Texas.

Back