• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Too much smoke ring?

rudomundo

Reaction score
Honing my brisket technique and wondering if there is such a thing as too much smoke ring. I wet brine for 7 days in regular salt and brown sugar and then smoke at 150° for three hours before 24 hrs in sous vide at 155°, and then sear at 450° about 10 minutes per side. Then I end up this huge smoke ring (see attached). I mean, does that look appetizing? Would you hit that?

Attachments

• 20171001_163807.jpg
    20171001_163807.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 568
Seems like a lot of trouble for a result that doesn't look natural. Just my .02. I applaud your creativity though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks good even though out of the ordinary. As long as a briskets moist I always like it. It does just out way more work on you than needed but if YOU and the ones that eat it like it that's all that matters.

How did it turn out?

It waz delicious and I don't see how baby sitting a sous vide machine was any harder than baby sitting a stick burner. (in fact, easier) Would do again. Thanks for asking!

It waz delicious and I don't see how baby sitting a sous vide machine was any harder than baby sitting a stick burner. (in fact, easier) Would do again. Thanks for asking!
Good point. Feeding sticks outdoors isn't easier.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I more meant it that I can run my Shirley for 6 hours at a higher temp and have a done brisket.

24 hours is 24 hours no matter what's running.

Glad it turned out good.

I agree with the above posters. If you're satisfied with the product and happy with the total BBQ experience, then what's not to like?!?

As I've written elsewhere, I like stick burners for the Que, but also for the getaway experience. It's 3AM, no one's calling/texting, just me, and there's a peace with adding a stick and poking the fire.

Nothing to answer for. If anything, you've given me some good ideas and I hope to get a ring like that!

What is the reason for the wet brine? Aside from making corned beef, I’m not sure why you would wet brine a brisket.

What is the reason for the wet brine?
Gets the salt in there. All the way in there. My rub is nothing but ground black pepper.

That's corned beef, not brisket.
More like a lazy man's injection. Equilibrium brine to 1.5%. No nitrite or nitrate, so definitely not corned beef or pastrami.

Don't think seven days is enough to corn a brisket. I've always done at least two weeks, sometimes three.

What is the reason for the wet brine?
Gets the salt in there. All the way in there. My rub is nothing but ground black pepper.

That smoke ring shows how far the brine actually penetrated. Try cooking one with out the brine and add salt to your rub. It’s worked for me for years :thumb:

That smoke ring shows how far the brine actually penetrated. Try cooking one with out the brine and add salt to your rub. It’s worked for me for years :thumb:

Cool. Definitely will do. Thanks!

Looking at your recipe it sounds as though you're giving this piece of meat MAYBE 10 minutes of smoke? Looks more like a piece of beef that has been roasted to about 165° than a smoke ring. If this is how you prefer your brisket then right on.

Back