Grilling - open or closed lid

When grilling do you keep lid open or closed ? Why ?

• My grill's supposed to come with a top lid ?

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Isn't that why it came with a lid ?

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • I mix it up as the cook nears completion

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Depends how I'm feeling that day

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Here's a good debate to have over your Memorial Day gathering with friends or family while tending the pit or grill...

When high heat grilling (ex. steaks, burgers, sausage, chicken, shrimp etc.)
with clear weather and high outdoor temps... Do you grill with the lid covered or open ? Why ?

I use a natural gas grill that doesn't get as hot as a propane fueled one. I have to keep the lid closed to get a good hot environment.

I grill with the lid closed 100% of the time. It stops flame ups and I can leave the grill unattended for 20 min or so and go and prep some other foods. I find that chicken skin is crispier too.

Force of habit more than anything, I cooked almost exclusively on a Weber kettle for about 20 yrs. the same one. It need to be replaced and I got a BSKD, so now if I grill I use the BSKD firebox, with the lid closed 90% of the time.

I keep lid closed.
But it's a tad difficult getting the food out that way.
Have to open at end.

Lid closed always, I suppose more from old charcoal habits as anything even though I use a gasser now. I never grill without some chips, chunks or pellets adding a bit of smoke to the mix, I guess the lid closed mod helps get the smoke and meat to meet!!

between the gasser and the kettle i keep the lid on most of the time. even temps somewhat and keeps the flare up to a minimum, for example. when i was cookin chicken the other day on the kettle. damn near burnt my eyebrows off when the drip pan ignited. soon as i put the lid back on the fire extinguished it self..

Simple answer: yes

Kettle, full chimney, pile high on one side, open, wait, wait, wait, white hot grill, 1" pork chops or steaks, put on, wait, sear, flip, wait, sear, 3 minutes a side, move offset no coals under, throw on 3 chunks apple, wait for ignition, cover, hits 400* for 30 minutes in the smoke, moisted chops ever, and medium well Del Monicos.

So I couldn't vote, for there was no "yes" or "both" option.

kcquer said:
Lid closed always, I suppose more from old charcoal habits as anything even though I use a gasser now. I never grill without some chips, chunks or pellets adding a bit of smoke to the mix, I guess the lid closed mod helps get the smoke and meat to meet!!

yeah...

what he said.. :tongue:

On my gasser and charcoal grill I keep the lid on almost exclusively. I have have even used my charcoal grill lid on a campfire grill before. I guess that is what I am comfortable with.

Looking at a special events grill 3foot by 8 foot No Lid but room to move meats to cooler zones within the grill area.

ThomEmery said:
Looking at a special events grill 3foot by 8 foot No Lid but room to move meats to cooler zones within the grill area.

I've used one of those before. There are always cooler zones. And soon as the chicken is done we toss it straight into a cooler.

Closed, except when using the Hibachi, no lid on it.

brisket031.jpg

Bigmista said:
I've used one of those before. There are always cooler zones. And soon as the chicken is done we toss it straight into a cooler.
I am going to mount it above the wood rack on the Klose with a swivel so we can swing it out to use when we are catering

Charcoal on the Weber - lid down for flavor and smoke. Cant utilize the vents if you go topless.

Back