GrillKing...Here we come. !!! ..UPDATE: And we Won!!!

In August I should have finished training to be a KCBS CBJ trainer and I'm now a KCBS Rep, would love to go east and train judges and Rep the contest, I'm willing to travel!

parrothead said:
I asked because I see they offer KCBS judge training -- one would think they'd get KCBS sanctioned if that's the case.
That's what they are working on. They are trying to get a judge base together.

I don't know about that. I'm a CBJ and offered my services and was told thanks but no thanks. I was talking with some of the judges and was told that it was "all cousins and extended family." I'm not saying that the judges weren't honest - I agreed with many of their winnners, but I did find that remark curious.

Dean, the guy who ran the show, said to me that they are working on becoming KCBS sanctioned, but haven't found a venue that would allow a two/three day sleepover event. If he wants sanctioning, he's going to have to tighten up the rules and procedures a lot.

Jim,
I love to take the first step towards competing by becoming a KCBS certified judge. I think that this would be a good insight into what it would take to win. If you set something up in the St. Louis area, let me know.
Mike

jminion said:
In August I should have finished training to be a KCBS CBJ trainer and I'm now a KCBS Rep, would love to go east and train judges and Rep the contest, I'm willing to travel!

Jim - is there anything related to learning to be a judge - or being a judge - that can disqualify a person as a contestant in future events?

racer_81 said:
jminion said:
Jim - is there anything related to learning to be a judge - or being a judge - that can disqualify a person as a contestant in future events?

There's not that stops a judge from competeing, except you can't judge at the same contest you're cooking at.

The governers proclamation is in the works and the event will be sanctioned next year. I was told that thyey are looking at haveing it at Heckser state park next year. Jim and Linda Mullan (I belive thats there last name) are coming over from PA to run the class in Sept.

Judging class just gives you a basis in the rules and an idea what to look for as a new judge. As a competitor taking the class helps you get a good idea what other competitors are doing for turn-ins and that is very helpful.
Jim

CBJ

stlmike said:
Jim,
I love to take the first step towards competing by becoming a KCBS certified judge. I think that this would be a good insight into what it would take to win. If you set something up in the St. Louis area, let me know.
Mike
We just had the class about six weeks ago and the local asso. put it together. We needed 25 people at 35.00 ea. to cover the cost of flying in the instuctor etc. we ended up with 35 total. Some of the members did the cooking.

parrothead,
I have a feeling though that if next year gets you an invite to the Jack Daniels, it will bring people from neighboring states and I would expect to see alot more competition cookers coming out of the wood work.

I have a feeling you are right! When I talked to Buzz last week, he said there were cookers there from Texas and Cinncinati, Ohio. The event was in Shannon IL.

We aint got none down here, so we have to travel.

Congratulations guys, you did an awesome job...maybe one day i'll have the balls...and money to enter a competition!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOW!!!! This is too cool! You guys have a right to be really REALLY proud. And your wives have a right to hush and let you appreciate your success. :wink:

willkat98 said:
racer_81 said:
My comment was to rile up Bill, but apparently he is asleep (or equivalent) somewhere.

Should added a cup of Jack Daniels.

First Place, hands down

Well, then, their BBQ entries would have had a nice yellow
tint to the glaze from all the piss in that JD crap.

Some fine Ky bourbon would do wonders......

outstanding fellas... I take it that the "call my cell phone" message was about this phil? was on vacation in wisconsin until monday... this is so cool...

josh

colt45 said:
outstanding fellas... I take it that the "call my cell phone" message was about this phil? was on vacation in wisconsin until monday... this is so cool...

josh

Breath Colt, 1 more to 300.

Pictures

All your entries looked great. I can't believe you didn't sweep the contest. I wish i could make wings like that,the pulled pork had a nice bark,ribs & brisket looked awesome.Displays were right on i would have liked to have been there judging. That's some good eats!

we swept to some extent. We took 1st in 2 catagories, 5 & 7 in the other 2 and were 1 of only 2 teams to place top 10 in all 4, and we beat the othe team by about 300 points. So Points wise we were also best overall. good enuf for me on our first time out..

Congrats Phil and Co. on your victory. You guys made us proud. We need a flag now to advertise our group. Anyone interested?

Back