• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

120 Gallon Compressor Tank,Trailer Mounted, Offset Smoker Build - by Huntin Smoke & Pappy (pics) UPDATED

i like the cap on the chimney. did you make the spring handles or buy them? also on the angle iron for the rack, it looks like it sits below the edge of the door? if this is the case won't you have to then lift the rack before you slide it out? I just did some marking and measuring on my tank. I came up with 17.75in for the door? how big is your door? and are you doing 4 cook racks? 2 on the bottom and 2 on top? How hard is the door to open? and to keep open? or will you ad counter weights? I will post photos of my build but right now all I have is the tank and a trailer. I am taking photos as I do things but nothing to Internet worthy yet.

i like the cap on the chimney. did you make the spring handles or buy them? also on the angle iron for the rack, it looks like it sits below the edge of the door? if this is the case won't you have to then lift the rack before you slide it out? I just did some marking and measuring on my tank. I came up with 17.75in for the door? how big is your door? and are you doing 4 cook racks? 2 on the bottom and 2 on top? How hard is the door to open? and to keep open? or will you ad counter weights? I will post photos of my build but right now all I have is the tank and a trailer. I am taking photos as I do things but nothing to Internet worthy yet.

Huntin Smoke bought the springs off of the internet. Angle iron is flush with the bottom of the door opening. Racks will slide out with no problems. We made the doors 24" from the top center. We are going to have 4 racks. The door is not that heavy to open. No counter weights needed. We will add some stops to the hinges so that the door stays open off center towards the back. If that lid slamed shut on your fingers, it would take them off.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

I bought them at KCK.com The price was right and they ship quickly.

how come you removed the nice cerved mount w/ the flat bottom that was on the tank only to then cut a curve into the tube stock? why not just keep the mounts that were there move them if needed, then re-weld them back on and just use square tube for the legs?

how come you removed the nice cerved mount w/ the flat bottom that was on the tank only to then cut a curve into the tube stock? why not just keep the mounts that were there move them if needed, then re-weld them back on and just use square tube for the legs?

Throughout the build we are always making choices on how we want to build it. Choices are based on having a unique look, functions easily, the tools that we have for the build and materials. We are making something out of nothing (I bet I heard my dad say that a thousand times when I was a kid). For us, it’s not how fast we can get it finished, it’s the build and having time to work on it together that makes it fun. We won’t be finished until sometime next year.

For us, the compressor feet were not something that we wanted to keep. The feet were not tall enough for what we needed. Instead of welding extensions onto the feet, we just made one piece legs that were the right length. Cleaner look and it helps it look less like an old compressor tank. The 4” tube was free material. Were trying to make it look as professional as we can with the skills we have and simple tools and materials that we have to work with.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy a good build almost as much as I enjoy good Q.

Throughout the build we are always making choices on how we want to build it. Choices are based on having a unique look, functions easily, the tools that we have for the build and materials. We are making something out of nothing (I bet I heard my dad say that a thousand times when I was a kid). For us, it’s not how fast we can get it finished, it’s the build and having time to work on it together that makes it fun. We won’t be finished until sometime next year.

For us, the compressor feet were not something that we wanted to keep. The feet were not tall enough for what we needed. Instead of welding extensions onto the feet, we just made one piece legs that were the right length. Cleaner look and it helps it look less like an old compressor tank. The 4” tube was free material. Were trying to make it look as professional as we can with the skills we have and simple tools and materials that we have to work with.

Mission accomplished. :thumb::thumb:

Keep posting!

Updated 10-27-12

Added 2 drain valves to the food chamber. One at each end of the tank.
IMG_4170.jpg

Welded in couplers for the thermometers
IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4166-1.jpg

3" Thermometers
IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

Eyebrows for the thermometers
IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_41691.jpg

IMG_41692.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

Finished tracks for the upper row of grates
IMG_41681.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

Are you planning on sloping the bottom at all to help move the drippings to the drain valves? Just a question. I am so jealous of the end product that I can see this being.
Curly

I really like the way the eyebrows over the thermos turned out. I don't think we will get the chance to work on it much in the next couple of weeks. Deer season is calling my name.

The build is looking great.. Thanks for the pics and ideas.. Helping me lots with my build and I really appreciate it. Good luck with the deer, they have been moving up here we have 3 decent bucks and a doe down so far. Ever smoked a hind quarter, Incredible!!!!

Back