• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Temp Probes and Brisket

He says it is feel and SMELL of the meat...Not sure I will ever get good enough to know by smell.

I worked with an old pitmaster back in the 60's that just used feel, smell and looks. He never missed as far as I know and I still think he made the best Q that I've ever had the honor to eat. I'm still not good enough to do that either. Will probably never be.

Eye... I love you cuz you are old school baby... (look at me with my stoker and being all loud mouthed about old school and some will get my humor)

I had to check the doneness of maybe 11 briskets at a time on a spinning rack cuz my Meat mama pit didn't have a stop pedal of the rotisserie.

I used an old sharpening tool that a certain someone in Lockhart, texas gave me. It was maybe 50 years old and not as thick as a new one. But If that past through with no problems you had Mecca Style Brisket. I lost it in Friedrich pit, I owned at one time. I was sad because the pitmaster that gave it to me is now dead.

Dull the end of those Ice Picks though... grind them flat.
I haven't finished this whole thread. Would something like this work?

http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=828356&Category_Code=HT

Folks.........This is Q-Talk!
Please keep this thread moving in a civil manner.

I guess I better take that probe out and stick it in my a$$ then , for what you are sugestioning. one of my first briskets, saved by using probes.

IMG_4989.jpg

Hooray for the OLD SCHOOL :)-

I've been preaching Old School for a long time, and I've been good at getting my meat done right since before probes and fancy therms. I do use analog pit therms for internal pit temp(front,middle and end), but as for doneness I rely on my eyes and the FEEL of the product, be it Brisket,Ribs, Butt or anything else.Pull the bone on BUTTS, lift the Ribs to see bend, and feel your meat to check tenderness. Homer Page of Temple,Texas taught me this long ago as I watched him at his BBQ Joint off 57th St.
Now if you add in the factor of pre-burning,well you reach Nervana with a sweet savory taste:icon_cool No bagged crap or chips, just sticks of a good wood(my sticks are of 3" or better splits) Oh, and the bark makes NO difference, the wood has it's flavor. By mixing woods one can adjust the intensity of that flavor from strong(like Mesquite), to mild (like Alder or Maple).Here in Ohio, I like the Maple-Oak-Apple mix. It's readily available and around here is rather cheap,lots of BIG trees being cut and sold uncut for a song, if you can haul it.
Belive me,I am OLD SCHOOL and my circle never complains:-D

Homer Page of Temple,Texas taught me this long ago as I watched him at his BBQ Joint off 57th St.:-D

Yeah But Todd and Vickie now do a cold smoke and finish it in ovens. That's a cheesy short cut that Homer would not endorse.

Your right on the "feel"

You sound like me... a lot of lessons get learned when you have to keep an eye on more than 8 briskets. I remember my first big smoke doing this at the old Kreuz market. I stared at three comparable briskets that we all put on at 4:30 in the morning or so... one was ready at 10:30 (yes I said 10:30) another at 11:40 or so and another at 2. That's what I was doing in summer 1985.

If you want consistency in product the probe needs to be thrown away or used for feel.

Sigh...my mama always said if'n you ain't got nuttin' good to say 'bout folks...don't say nuttin' at all...

Reckon I'll just jump back in that vat of nitrogen because I happen to like using temp probes in my brisket flats...:cool:

My late dad always said "He don't know he don"t know". Just apply that in this thread where you see fit. Life is Good!!!!! Love this forum!

Sigh...my mama always said if'n you ain't got nuttin' good to say 'bout folks...don't say nuttin' at all...

Reckon I'll just jump back in that vat of nitrogen because I happen to like using temp probes in my brisket flats...:cool:

Wow... LOL Bet he cried a lot in High School.

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I am just saying in a constructive way that people who smoke brisket flats and that use temp probes to indicate doneness need to be murdered in an elaborate and painful way.

Thank God I didn't tell you what should happen to foilers. Sheesh!

I learned from an old gentleman in Oklahoma that told me two things when i was a youngun about cookin' brisket.

He said only season with salt and pepper and get yourself an orange Thermapen to learn how to cook that brisket.

Unka Pete said only orange had the mojo.

btw, anybody seen LeeBo lately?

I learned from an old gentleman in Oklahoma that told me two things when i was a youngun about cookin' brisket.

He said only season with salt and pepper and get yourself an orange Thermapen to learn how to cook that brisket.

Unka Pete said only orange had the mojo.

btw, anybody seen LeeBo lately?

LOL! Damn... now that's a Brethren Size sense of humor there. They make a purple thermapen?

I happen to have ice picks, and I've never used them for pickin' ice, so...one is going in my comp box (with my Nu-Temp and Polders) and will try this with the next packer I cook.

I can't even imagine what you would do to somebody that did ribs in a crockpot or heaven forbid boiled them. Oh noooooooo!

I have no problem with using the probes, hell whatever it takes to get good brisket. I guess the main question here is "did the brisket taste good and did it have good texture?"

Back