New Charcoal ?

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven't needed charcoal as I stocked up on KB during the last sale, but I happened to pass by a display in HD the other day. Ember in 16lb. bags priced slightly lower that the two, twenty Lb. of KB

So I bought two and used them yesterday for a Brisket. I packed the WSM as usual and fired her up with my weed burner. Had a good start in about ten minutes so I put the meat on as usual. Usual brisket for me is injected, rub, and sit overnight. Then into a foil pan. Try it, it works!

Temps came up to 230 and stayed there! No adjusting vents, she ran like I had a Guru attached. I went on errands for four hours and came back to temp at 237. Not bad.

OK this is supposed to be about charcoal. This stuff seems to burn better than anything I have used lately. The briquetts are clean, meaning no dust, period. Not even in the bottom of the bag!

I pulled the brisket after ten hours only because the weather was looking bad. But after looking at the fire, I figure there was enough unburned left to last another four hours. I have never gotten a burn like that, ever!

Needless to say, I will be using Ember again. :grin:

Oh yeah, the brisket; I would rate it about 9.5. Sorry no pron.

I have used it several times with no issues. I rate it better smelling than kbb but not quite as good as Stubbs. If you are looking for a good but cheaper briquet then I think you can't go wrong with Embers or any of the re-branded RO briqs.

I recently learned (from this site) about ridge logo = rebranded royal oak. Thanks for the heads up. I'm taking a trip to the depot

I had seen some in HD the other day and walked right by to pick up the blue bag. Guess I will have to grab some and give it a try. Thanks for the info!

I will take Royal Oak, rebranded or otherwise over Kingsford 10 times out of 10. Even if they were the same price.

The last 2 bags of RO I got at Restaurant Depot were awful. About 6-8 big pieces and everything else little tiny garbage. I'm sure RO doesn't ship them out that way so it's got to be the handling of the bags. Dang, these things are like a dozen eggs.... can't be throwing them around.

re branded r.o.

r.o. sells a gob of store brands that can be real good buys krogers sells two bag`s for the price of one in the spring local manager just shakes his head as i go by with my cart of charcoal

The last 2 bags of RO I got at Restaurant Depot were awful. About 6-8 big pieces and everything else little tiny garbage. I'm sure RO doesn't ship them out that way so it's got to be the handling of the bags. Dang, these things are like a dozen eggs.... can't be throwing them around.

You talking about the lump Marty? I think he was referring to the briquettes with the Ridge design that get rebranded so much.

Back