Thread: KCBS Pork Rule
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #193
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
The rep advisories are not meant to supersede any rule, but rather articulate and/or clarify how the rep should interpret a rule. This is important as it is always up the the rep as to what is allowed and what is not at any given contest. In this case Rep advisory 4.11 clarifies exactly what the word "pork" is to mean in the pork rule:

4.11 Pork Collar
The board was asked to address the issue, if the cut known as “pork collar” is a legal cut for purposes of entry in a KCBS contest.
Opinion: The Boards answer is no.

Rule 10 states:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker.

The KCBS Board of Directors has adopted the National Pork Board’s definitions which define the standard for cuts of Boston Butt (item 406 bone in or without bone), Picnic (item 405 bone in or without bone) and/or Whole Shoulder (item 403). Pork Collar is not included in these approved “American” definitions of food service cuts of pork. Therefore pork collar is not an acceptable cut to be approved at meat inspection or turned in for the purposes of competition under the rules of KCBS. In the event a pork collar cut is turned in it shall receive a score of 1 by all judges in all criteria as a foreign object being a non-approved cut of meat.

Given that reps are instructed to define "Pork" in this way, I would interpret this to say if at any point prior to "Pork" being "cooked' I must be within this definition. In other words, if, prior to it being cooked, I trim it down to something that is not item 406, 405, or 403, it is an illegal cut.
Yeah, I would have to say that just the part I highlighted is enough to illuminate my point. That rep advisory clarifies the OLD rule, not the new one.

Other than that we will have to agree to disagree and I, as you, will continue to cook the big butts whole.

But come on, who was the DA to throw in 4 pounds?
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote