Cold and windy... its time to BBQ

Objective has been reached...12 hours later. Now resting in a warmed cooler for an upcoming moment of devouring.

Last edited:
Bandit, you've done a fantastic job! That looks amazing!! Can't wait!! :thumb::hungry:

That looks awesome Bandit! Thinking of trying my first brisket NYE. Tish, did you do one yet?

That looks awesome Bandit! Thinking of trying my first brisket NYE. Tish, did you do one yet?

Ted, with all the crapola I've had to deal with this year, I've successfully managed to avoid doing the big cook. Done all kinds of beef, but never the elusive brisket. So the one being smoked at my house today is all my son, Michael. It's his first, so Bandit came by and walked him through it. I watched from the cheap seats, and played clean-up crew. He has at least another 4 hours or so to go on it.

In the meantime, we've been eating the one that Bandit brought over this morning. OMG, I can not describe to you just how delectable it is! He pulled it out of the cooler where it had been upwards of about 4 hours, and carved it. We all just stood there at the island, eating standing up. Consumed at least half of it right there. We all had juice running down our arms, and the poor dog went back and forth from one to another, praying for an earthquake! lol Delicious!

Thanks, Bandit! You certainly made Michael's Christmas merrier. And thanks for the two Brethren shirts you brought for him, and that bangin' homemade potato and broccoli soup you brought for Harvard. He thinks he's got it all to himself. Ha! lol Thanks again, brother. Merry Christmas! :hug:

It was my honor... its always a pleasure feeding members of the military... whether it was 1 or a 1,000.
All too happy to make time with you, Harvey, and Michael.

How's Michael's brisket coming along?

He pulled it at 200*, nice bark, probe tender, and it's wrapped up in towels in the cooler as I write this. Has about another two hours to go in the cooler. By the way, all but polished off the amazing brisket you brought us for dinner tonight. That boy is a brisket eating machine! We'll let you know how Michael's comes out. :wink:

He pulled it at 200*, nice bark, probe tender, and it's wrapped up in towels in the cooler as I write this. Has about another two hours to go in the cooler. By the way, all but polished off the amazing brisket you brought us for dinner tonight. That boy is a brisket eating machine! We'll let you know how Michael's comes out. :wink:

Sounds like a successful cook - congrats on nailing it on your first time.
It took me a few years - LOL!

Hey... it was all you and Michael. I just did the dishes. :-D

Fantastic job BBQ Bandit!! way to spread the Brethren spirit :eusa_clap

Tish looking forward to the pron from Michael's brisket :wink:

pwa

Fantastic job BBQ Bandit!! way to spread the Brethren spirit :eusa_clap

Tish looking forward to the pron from Michael's brisket :wink:

pwa

As soon as I can figure out how to get the crappy pics out of the cell phone and onto the computer, I'll put them up. :grin:

Sorry it took me so long to get these posted, Bandit, but here they are. :-D

The master and the padawan
michaelandthebandit2.jpg
[/IMG]

Bandit's brisket... or what's left of it by the time I got the camera. :roll:
banditsbrisketcarved2.jpg
[/IMG]

It was very moist, and very tender. He felt it was overdone a little, but I don't see how it could have been better. :wink:
banditsbrisket2.jpg
[/IMG]

Then there was Michael's brisket. He wanted to do everything himself.
michaelfirstbrisket1.jpg
[/IMG]

First time jitters....
michaelfirstbrisket2.jpg
[/IMG]

Michael injected his brisket, whereas Bandit did not.
michaelsfirstbrisketinjection.jpg
[/IMG]

Pulled at 200*, which was probably a little early.
michaelfirstbrisket3.jpg
[/IMG]

But he was proud of it. :wink:
michaelfirstbrisket4.jpg
[/IMG]

It did have nice bark....
michaelfirstbrisket5.jpg
[/IMG]

....and a nice smoke ring, too. Thanks, Bandit, for helping my son through his first one. :hug:
michaelfirstbrisket6.jpg
[/IMG]

That's awesome! That's a great first brisket... better than my first one.
(both briskets were done without any foiling, spritzing, or wrapped in paper partway thru the cook.)

The picture of the remnants were after I used the backside of the blade and showed Michael and Tish how the flat and point separated without any resistance once the optimum tenderness was reached. Then the point was cubed, drizzled with au jus, then devoured right off the cutting board!

No one walked away hungry that day... LOL!

[Strong is the force, is this one]

Congrats Grasshopper!

Fantastic!! good Job!! think we have another Brisket master in the making :)

Back