Team Name

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I posted the other day that I was looking to do a competition coming up in February. http://www.smokinontherio.com/aboutus.htm

I found a sponsor today who is giving me $300 for the entry fee and other expenses and he will get me a banner made.

Now I need a team name. I have always thought that if I opened a bbq place, I would name it Walter's BBQ after my dad, who passed away in 2001. It was he that got me started smoking briskets as I was always trying to make brisket as good as his.

His technique was unorthodox, but it worked for him and my family loved his brisket. I started cooking his way, but have moved on to a more traditional way of cooking.

But, like I said, he got me started and I guess this could be the beginning of Walter's BBQ.

What do ya'll think?

That's a great way to pay homageto the man who got you started cooking and probably a lot of other fun stuff...

Just a suggestion....How about cooking the brisket with his unorthodox method for or at least incorporate some part of his technique for the first contest ? That would be a really cool tribute to get Walter's BBQ going !!

That is a good idea MS. His technique was basically like KickAssbbq's. He started the brisket under smoke in a pan for about 9 hours, then added some liquid, covered in foil and cooked another 3 hours. He never had a traditional smoker, he used an old kenmore bbq gas grill and a wood box that held hickory chunks.

I like to think I make que almost as good as his. Now, I just wish I was a good as him at golf.

I like the idea and used it myself. My dad also got me smoking and grilling years ago and he also passed away in 2001.

I couldn't use his name as a team name but started using our backetball team name, Wildcat Smokers. Watching UK play was one thing beside BBQ we loved to do together.

As a to date non competitor (just kitchen help) I think he would be proud and I think there is a way through KCBS you can at least get a cursory check that it is not already used. My 2cents

jgh1204,
Walter's BBQ would be a GREAT name and your father would know about it and be proud!!!
I don't think your dad used my method of smoking Brisket, I was probably using HIS method.
I used it at my 1st comp and got a 1st Place Trophy and check for my Brisket.
I just wish I would have known your dad, too. He could have taught me a lot of things about BBQ.
Smoke On!!!! Walter!!!!!
ed

I can't think of a single thing that would be a higher praise to your Father than that.

I only hope that one day my son will have the " Spicebag Smoking Team" in honor of me.:roll:

Just kidding!!! I do think it is quite an honor!! Good Job and Good Luck!!

Spice

Great name and Good Luck with that! If you wanted to check, the BBQ Forum has a link to a list of all the team names. It is NOT complete, but it'll do in order to see if there is a Walter's BBQ team out there already. Of course, you could always use it anyways, but I have seen this cause HUGE disappointment ...example - at MIM last year...they announced a winner ... "the Bastey Boys" , and it WASN'T our buds from NEBS (who we were standing next to, by the way)....how depressing to think (if only for an instant) that you won (WOO-HOO!!) and then find out that it was just another team that had that same name. (DARN, that's the end...)

I like the name: Slow Smoking Walter BBQ, A Fire in Disguise.

It's a great name. Also get a Brethren banner. At least a small brethren sign. Check with Phil. Always cool to have another flying our colors.

Thanks for everyone's comments. Just got back from a family gathering for one of my brother's 50th BD party. Everyone there loved the idea too, so it will be Walter's BBQ.

Back