UDS fuel question

SCPossum

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been reading through a lot of posts and one thing I don't see is the different types of fuel everyone is burning. I saw on one post they used Red Oak(I think) charcoal and another used cowboy lump. They got two different results.

I used some Kingsford (around 8lbs) and only got around 5.5 hours the other night. I know, I know, every UDS is different.

However, could a knowlegeable UDS expert maybe give a guesstimate about the burning capabilities of different types of fuel? Like cowboy lump burns quicker than other types of lump or Kingsford original burns quicker or slower than some different kind. I reload my own ammunition and we have a burn chart for different kinds of powders. Is there anything remotely along those lines available for charcoal?

Of course, this might be a stupid question, but I figure it is worse not to ask it . I have been using a gas grill for so long, I don't have any clue when it comes to charcoal. At least give me a clue as to which brands everyone prefers. Thanks :-D

im a drumhead but we dont burn lump or kingford we burn pellets stay online you will get help

Typically, Burning 10lbs. of Kingsford briqs and four fist sized Hickory wood chunks, I can get 225*-250* for 14 plus hours.

I burned the UDS from last Thursday afternoon, to Sunday afternoon on 15lbs.
of KF and Hickory chunks.
I was impressed with how little fuel this thing uses.
My firebox is 12x12x6" tall. Filled it up the first day
and got 15 hours out of it before adding a bit more the following afternoon. There was still a bunch of unspent fuel in there.

Weiser

I've been reading through a lot of posts and one thing I don't see is the different types of fuel everyone is burning. I saw on one post they used Red Oak(I think) charcoal and another used cowboy lump. They got two different results.

I used some Kingsford (around 8lbs) and only got around 5.5 hours the other night. I know, I know, every UDS is different.

However, could a knowlegeable UDS expert maybe give a guesstimate about the burning capabilities of different types of fuel? Like cowboy lump burns quicker than other types of lump or Kingsford original burns quicker or slower than some different kind. I reload my own ammunition and we have a burn chart for different kinds of powders. Is there anything remotely along those lines available for charcoal?

Of course, this might be a stupid question, but I figure it is worse not to ask it . I have been using a gas grill for so long, I don't have any clue when it comes to charcoal. At least give me a clue as to which brands everyone prefers. Thanks :-D

I'm new, Don't have a uds but probly will soon. But i've smoked fish for years and this winter started smoking other meats, So i was lurking and read about how great lump is so i bought a bag of cowboy, Smoked some ribs and the next day i found a big wad of window screen in my ash pan. After some research i found this.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
Look up cowboy, I'll never buy it again.

I think you might be thinking of Royal Oak lump charcoal. It's an average brand as far as burn time and flavor goes.

I use lump in my BDS, 10 pounds will give me about 14 hours of burn time at or below 250° pit temp. I use Royal Oak and also Lazarri Mesquite lump.

As far as a lump database goes, yes there is one, here is the link

Thus far, I haven't had a problem with it other than,
it burns too hot and too fast.
I doubt that I'll purchase anymore of it since my local supplier just closed up shop.
There are many other products out there which are much better.

Weiser

I'm new, Don't have a uds but probly will soon. But i've smoked fish for years and this winter started smoking other meats, So i was lurking and read about how great lump is so i bought a bag of cowboy, Smoked some ribs and the next day i found a big wad of window screen in my ash pan. After some research i found this.
Look up cowboy, I'll never buy it again.

I agree with wieser, Too hot and too fast. But in my case it worked out good. Keep in mind i'm not a pro and have a lot to learn, I just jumped on this thread becouse i have some experience with cowboy. Here's a picture of my smoke using cowboy, Superbowl night. Pork loin, abt's and a fattie. Sorry no after pics.
003-3.jpg

-12* when this pic was taken, This is my normal winter smoking setup but the lump did keep the temps up a lot better than kf did. Now i just need to find a clean lump that isn't made out of chemical soaked lumber thats available around here.

I use a 50 / 50 mix of RO lump & RO briquetts with wood chunks added for smoke. My coal basket is 13" diameter x 10" tall, sitting 2 1/2" of the bottom of the drum. If I fill the basket to the top it will keep 225* to 240* for over 12 hours. YMMV

Holy Crap!
@-12* you need Cowboy Lump!
I'll betcha that your camera froze up...

Weiser

I agree with wieser, Too hot and too fast. But in my case it worked out good. Keep in mind i'm not a pro and have a lot to learn, I just jumped on this thread becouse i have some experience with cowboy. Here's a picture of my smoke using cowboy, Superbowl night. Pork loin, abt's and a fattie. Sorry no after pics.
003-3.jpg

-12* when this pic was taken, This is my normal winter smoking setup but the lump did keep the temps up a lot better than kf did. Now i just need to find a clean lump that isn't made out of chemical soaked lumber thats available around here.

lump vs. briquets?

A question for you UDS guys about stacking/ minion in your drums.

With my CG, I tried Sam's club briquets for a minion burn and found them to give off an unpleasant smoke as they started up throughout the cook.

Have others found this or:
1. Does the meat dripping on the fire in a drum negate this effect?
2. Am I worrying about something I shouldn't?

Many thanks - Roop

man I am hurt we have non beleavers on the site ok bubba I will get you some pics in the am of my drum I cant load them from the home pc .. :icon_sick

man I am hurt we have non beleavers on the site ok bubba I will get you some pics in the am of my drum I cant load them from the home pc .. :icon_sick

I've heard of your stainless pellet pooper but have never seen it! :cool:

I'm gonna send Norco over to check it out for us! :biggrin:

you are your possy are more then welcome to come by anytime we can have a beer and smoke some chicken and ribs or briskets or butts lol heck we had 24 lbs of brisket and 22 lbs of butts on it and when the butts got done we turned up the heat to do the 20 lbs of chicken .. tomarrow we will have some pics

Back