• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Alton Brown throw skirts in the embers

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone see Alton Brown throw Skirt Steaks RIGHT ON THE CAOLS last night?
It looked like everything worked out oaky but seems like you might get some serious Lump in your meat.
He used a hair dryer to dust off the caols before placing the meat directly on the coals stating that this would keep it from flaming up. Makes sense but what about the charcoal dust in the meat? Have we been doing it all wrong?
Anyone done this?

I saw it last night and also during the beef throwdown week. I didnt want to throw a 27 dollar porterhouse on live lump.

Interesting Idea, never tried it.

i saw that.. boy has no freakin' clue howto cook a fajita.....i'd love to school him & bobby flay on a fajita.....

Just because you saw it on TV does not mean that it is the right way to cook!
Next thing you know you will have the urge to boil ribs!:shock::shock::eek:

I think I recall one of the Brethren, "toys4dlr", telling me about doing this once or twice. Maybe he'll chime in on it...

I did this a couple of times just for the show, nothins better than the look of your guests when you throw away the grat and dump
the meat in the embers :biggrin:

There really isnt much sticking to the meat but on the other side it doest have any advantage to cooking on a nice cast iron grate a couple of inches above the charcoal.

DM

Cooking on a BGE will solve any issue with the desire to perform this stunt.
Get the Egg burning about 650 degrees and you don't have to worry about going directly onto your coals because you wouldn't get it back. Better to sear the meat on the grill with the Egg running wide open!

I do like Alton and he has some great ideas. But the show he did on brewing beer was awful. If anyone ever tried it that way they would never brew again. So my point is he doesn't always know what he's talking about.

832900ae.jpg

When I first read about that kind of cooking, I didn't want to take the chance of ashes on the meat either. I cut a piece of expando to lay atop the coals and did a steak or two and one flank steak that way. I felt I had better control the conventional way and haven't done since.

a8f53e1f.jpg

I tried the same thing a couple years ago as I saw the same show--It really didn't do anything special but make a little mess on my skirt. BGE cranked up does the job just fine. If you want it even hotter you can blast the hair dryer through the bottom vent on the BGE for a quick sear.

i saw that.. boy has no freakin' clue howto cook a fajita.....i'd love to school him & bobby flay on a fajita.....

wow I have to see this considering it was the great Champion Charlie Alkali of Texas Fajita cookoff fame that taught me to do Fajita back in 1980
when is the show on again or is it on youtube?

I've done it camping over a wood-based fire (forgot grill grate). Steaks turned out fine, but it isn't my preferred method of coking.

Didn't Alton Brown also smoke a Salmon in a cardboard box? After looking at some of the Brethren's signature lines, I'm thinking we could all save some money and just use a cardboard box...:eek:

mick

He also smoked a pork butt in a large clay pot.

I'm sticking with my WSMs.

After looking at some of the Brethren's signature lines, I'm thinking we could all save some money and just use a cardboard box...:eek:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Paul

Last edited:
I liked the clay pot bbq episode. I have never found clay or terra cotta pots that large though... not even in those mexican import shops...

That episode motivated me to buy my first smoker and eventually led me here.

Ah, but have you ever used the cardboard box or clay pot smokers?

A big part of what I like most about "Good Eats" is the show's creative use of everyday stuff. I just think I'll get better results by sticking with my WSMs!

Back