Predator Inverted Generator from Harbor Freight

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the good the bad and the ugly regarding the Predator Inverted Generator from Harbor Freight? The sale price is $499 and seems to be good as long as it works.

2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator

Thanks is advance for your comments.

If this is the one I have it it has worked great for the last two years

Last edited:
I think I found the right one,only inverter generator I could find on Harbor Freight. Here is a few thoughts I have only on what I am reading since I have never had a Predator one before.

Biggest issue I see is the sound rating. 64db seems kind of loud. An uninsulated name brand 4000w generator(Champion) is 68db. And a Honda,Yamaha or other typical inverter generators are usually in the 45-55db range. I have a 2000w Champion inverter generator(53db) that can be bought on Amazon right now for $579.

Other thing I wonder about is how reliable. I have never heard of the brand and HF doesnt have any reviews for the generator.

+1 on the too loud. At that db rating you won't be running that thing at night. Not without the neighbors pulling the spark plug on it.

I think I found the right one,only inverter generator I could find on Harbor Freight. Here is a few thoughts I have only on what I am reading since I have never had a Predator one before.

Biggest issue I see is the sound rating. 64db seems kind of loud. An uninsulated name brand 4000w generator(Champion) is 68db. And a Honda,Yamaha or other typical inverter generators are usually in the 45-55db range. I have a 2000w Champion inverter generator(53db) that can be bought on Amazon right now for $579.

Other thing I wonder about is how reliable. I have never heard of the brand and HF doesnt have any reviews for the generator.

I have the same Champion and it's quiet enough for comp use. Got it at Sam's for $499 two years ago.

Are generators that important for a competition? I have only done one competition and a generator wasn't needed. Is this something I should pick up for future competitions?

My experience with harbor freight is as follows....

When they put a grinder on sale for $12.99 buy and think of it as disposable. It may last years and it may last three months.

When you buy something like a generator, Buy the warranty. I got the same generator as smokeinit and a bearing went out and it made an crazy loud noise. I took it back because I had the warranty and they just swapped it out for a new one. The new one has been working just fine.

and as side note....when their gloves and zip ties go on sale......I stock up for the year

Are generators that important for a competition? I have only done one competition and a generator wasn't needed. Is this something I should pick up for future competitions?

Simple answer is no you dont NEED, but is nice to have depending on your NEEDS. It is kinda like the argument for and against automatic temp controllers=not NEEDED but sure makes things easier. This season we had a small camper that we used for comps and despite a few small issues I was so thankful to have it at certain comps(State Center,Iowa it started hailing right when we got there). It had a dorm fridge and lights so generator might have been needed but could have done OK without. I just purchased a new BBQ camper/trailer(Thanks Smokehouse 72) that has a full size fridge, A/C, lots of lights etc. So I will be NEEDING my generator if not a second one for next year.

Depends on your set up. For Kettering I used our generator. Wasn't close enough to the panel to get 30amp service to run the AC and ever important coffee maker, and lets not forget the TV for parsley box making time. Xenia had 30amp on site so I left it at home.

For contests that charge for electricity I take the generator. It is quite enough I have no worries running it all night long. The cost of gas is the same as the charge for electricity. The odds of a competition provided generator running out of fuel/failing/popping breakers is larger than for me to have problems with mine.

These units are a bit loader than a $2000 Honda. I just built a insulated cover to put over it and its very quite now. There are plenty of vents to release the heat for the money and if your not running every day it works great and the warrenty is good also.

Find out the make of the engine, then search small engine repair places for quiet mufflers. You can also search youtube for muffler mods for small engines.

Depends on your set up. For Kettering I used our generator. Wasn't close enough to the panel to get 30amp service to run the AC and ever important coffee maker, and lets not forget the TV for parsley box making time. Xenia had 30amp on site so I left it at home.

For contests that charge for electricity I take the generator. It is quite enough I have no worries running it all night long. The cost of gas is the same as the charge for electricity. The odds of a competition provided generator running out of fuel/failing/popping breakers is larger than for me to have problems with mine.

Good points. I just started competing so I haven't gotten to the point of a trailer or camper yet. I have seen your team a few times. I judged in Kettering and I competed in Xenia for my first competition.

I'm down to only buying welding gloves from harbor, everything else in the store has let me down when i needed it most.

I was able to attach a picture of the generator. Scroll down to view.
Can anyone tell me the good the bad and the ugly regarding the Predator Inverted Generator from Harbor Freight? The sale price is $499 and seems to be good as long as it works.

Thanks is advance for your comments.

image_23466.jpg

Double click on above image to view full picture
slider_btn_zoom_out.gif

slider_btn_zoom_in.gif

"Visit ConsumerReports.org to see how the Predator Generator stacks up against other generators costing up to 9 times more."

Predator Generators - item#61169

(1)
Read 1 Review
Write a Review

This lightweight inverter generator delivers efficient power for electronics, small appliances and tools

Only: $699.99
Sale: $499.99

Qty:

This item may be available at your local Harbor Freight Tools Store

Add to WishlistView Shipping Rates

Doesn't seem like a bad deal. Also Google "Harbor Freight Coupons" Almost always find a 20% off 1 item coupon. $400+tax may not be to bad of a deal.

Back