They're ALIVE!!!! 2013 Edition -- Garden growing tips, tricks, pron

According to the University of Ky which get their information from the USDA
Unacceptable Materials
[FONT=HOSQAU+MinionPro-Bold,Minion Pro][FONT=HOSQAU+MinionPro-Bold,Minion Pro]Materials that should NOT be added to compost piles
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=CQKWIE+MinionPro-Regular,Minion Pro][FONT=CQKWIE+MinionPro-Regular,Minion Pro]include human and pet feces, which can transmit diseases. Meat, bones, whole eggs, or dairy products should not be added as they may attract rodents.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I was planning to put my garden in this weekend, but mother nature decided to send a late season cold front our way. There is the possibility for frost on Sunday and Monday, so I'm gonna wait till next week. :sad:

mother nature has sure shown her crazy womanly tendencies out here in AZ this winter.... crazy broad fer sure!!!

8584138668_c9da4ebe69_z.jpg

8584139472_6657492d17_z.jpg

My rhubarb is coming up

Building a second compost bin today. I'll use the original to hold finished compost and this one will take all the new material this spring.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Just barely got it planted up here. 16" of snow in May followed by the rainiest spring ever is really putting a damper on outside projects!

Here's a pic of one corner of my garden. My tomatillo's are already well over the tops of their cages. Everything in containers are peppers.

Attachments

• 2013 garden pict1.jpg
    2013 garden pict1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 138
One thing I've learned about maters is that for me they do best when they don't get FULL sun especially at the height of the summer. I plant them in the backyard so they get most of the early morning and afternoon sun, but not much of the evening.
As for peppers, they can tolerate full sun. You can either prepare a large area of soil, or you can prepare just the hole for each plant. Remove the soil where the plant will go, mix some of the soil with fertilizer, potting soil and then use that new soil to back fill.
I like to start from seeds with most everything. But you could start off with seedlings too.

In el Paso; yeah they can get too much sun. Here in STL last summer was especially brutal. My tomatoes basically went dormant till September. Pepper crop really sucked too. However my tomatillo' s went into overdrive. I think I canned about 60 quarts.

I never gardened before, I live in the city so I thought I would try the square foot garden method in a raised planter (5'x3')and 3 tomato buckets. It is going gang busters crazy, way ahead of my neighbors. They want to know my secret!

My magical secret, go up to the guy at my local garden center and say I am growing a garden this year and don't know jack sh*t about it, I need everything from dirt on up, what do I do? How do I maintain......The 1 thing I bought at Home Depot is the only thing that is doing marginal.

My secret is for brethren only!:tape:

January in Arizona isn't anything like January in Manitoba. Then again, my Januarys in Winnipeg are spent in Arizona (or Florida) so I can relate a tiny bit.

Garden back home is frozen 5 feet down and not worth planting until the end of May to avoid frost.

how's yall's gardens doin this year so far?
Mixed bag. I've had some problems with predation. Curse those rabbits!

We've had a really wet spring so things are sprouting well. I got some really nice spinach.

IMG_20130605_112002_687.jpg

Lettuce and turnips (further back) look pretty nice as well.

IMG_20130605_112551_626.jpg

Besides the garden, out here in Az we REALLY appreciate a healthy lawn. I started following this site last year, and it's made a world of difference! http://www.richsoil.com/lawn-care.jsp

Try it out, you've got nothing to lose, except poisoning your family with herbicides and pesticides.
I'm with you. I put bigger gauge wheels on my deck to add some height. I also never put any chemicals on the lawn, neither herbicides nor fertilizers. Spreading toxins in the environment just to select grasses over broadleaf plants just rubs me the wrong way. As far as fertilizer and water... I have what I call a Darwinian lawn. Survival of the fittest! We have Creeping Charlie and purple violets and later in the summer some dandelions. :rolleyes:

With all of the rain we've had, the grass is growing like a jungle.

No photos of the garden itself right now, but here is one day's harvest from a couple of days ago. Weird thing is, our tomatoes are not doing much this year and last year we had way more than we could eat and/or can.

Veggies_061313.jpg

For those of us with little space I have started a vertical garden in pots. Should finish it this week, more photos to come.

I never gardened before, I live in the city so I thought I would try the square foot garden method in a raised planter (5'x3')and 3 tomato buckets. It is going gang busters crazy, way ahead of my neighbors. They want to know my secret!

My magical secret, go up to the guy at my local garden center and say I am growing a garden this year and don't know jack sh*t about it, I need everything from dirt on up, what do I do? How do I maintain......The 1 thing I bought at Home Depot is the only thing that is doing marginal.

My secret is for brethren only!:tape:

I think I know your secret: urea.

Back when this forum was still a Yahoo discussion group, I posted this: Organic food production in the slums of Mexico City
http://journeytoforever.org/garden_con-mexico.html

Ok, here's a then(3.1)/now(6.13) comparison:

As you can see, I didn't do the "German raised bed". Oh well. I may yet do it on the spot where the wood is stacked- upper right side of the pic you can see the pile.

The garlic is up nicely and the raspberries (along the shed) are doing well. Closest to the camera near the fence in the aerial shot are eggplant, then zuccini, then green peppers. Along the right side of the fence is basil followed by tomatoes. All that other green stuff is farkin weeds.

Usually I grow cukes vertically in the main garden, but this year I put them in a narrow bed along the house, behind the (planted very late) peas.

Still gotta plant carrots. Last year, downpours ruined planting 3 different times. This year, this boy is waiting until the dry dog days of summer before I plant those tiny farking seeds again!

Well, this year was great for peppers. Tomatoes were GREAT for our dog who pulled em and ate em. We got some nice carrots, onions, and radishes early on. Our basil is still out there. We don't use much of it, but I put it out there for the bees. They love it and then they move on to my pepper and and other plants. I eat the peppers either fresh or make a salsa. That stuff I can't use gets dried or I freeze them fresh for the winter.
I use the front yard as much as I can:
WP_20130915_001_zps05726033.jpg

Some Chiuacle Negro Peppers. These are a Oaxacan pepper from what I've learned. THE BEST PEPPER FOR MAKING MOLE!:-D I'm growing "toes" in the garden too!
WP_20130915_002_zps89e40308.jpg

I'm a bit stumped with these. I think they are Chiuacles too due to the color, but more jalapeno shaped.
WP_20130915_003_zps3c37f6ef.jpg

I'm unsure of these too. I'm thinking long green, but they are still small. This plant got a late start.
WP_20130915_004_zps4f0decc8.jpg

These are Fresnos.
WP_20130915_005_zps1341e1d8.jpg

I think some Gold Chiuacle seed was mixed in with the batch I had. These are nothing like the Fresnos. Great citrus flavor and hot. Plus, they stay orange. Look like the ones from here: http://peppermaniatexas.blogspot.com/2010/09/chiles-of-oaxaca.html
Plus, first year I've ever had em grow.
WP_20130915_006_zps59c6fc37.jpg

Drying stages:
WP_20130915_007_zps23153f63.jpg

WP_20130915_008_zps6d73dc39.jpg

WP_20130915_009_zpsd2792e08.jpg

WP_20130915_010_zps8a4e8760.jpg

WP_20130915_011_zpsd59f4611.jpg

Back