Tips and tricks for CL scores?

Jon David

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys search for on CL. I do the Weber Grill once a day just to see what comes up. I'm just kinda curious.

Just curious what you guys search for on CL. I do the Weber Grill once a day just to see what comes up. I'm just kinda curious.

Browse it daily. Go check out the grill and offer below asking price if you can find some small stuff wrong with it.

Use SearchTempest to monitor all surrounding CLs within a given miles radius.

Really opens up the world a bit. Oh, and purposely search for misspellings, like Webber.

Use SearchTempest to monitor all surrounding CLs within a given miles radius.

Really opens up the world a bit. Oh, and purposely search for misspellings, like Webber.
I have used SearchTempest and have used Webber, Weber grill, weber with side table, pretty much if you can think it use it:mrgreen:

I use craigslist+ on my iphone to search. You can include other cities that are close. I basically built my cooker from random craigslist finds. Also, if your looking for smokers and grills, this site is a good resource.

Search for charcoal grill or even just grill. My red master touch was listed as red charcoal grill $20. And +1 on search radius. I found a new wsm 40 mins from home for cheap. If you look for it you will find it. That's my motto!

I check multiple times a day. My motto is if your looking for something there are many other people in your area also looking. I always search weber but just BBQ also.

GREAT!! scores go super fast.

Save this search in the CL search box from your city (or modify if you don't want BGE included) as a bookmark and click early and often. It will most often bring in nearby cities as it's narrowed down a bit. :thumb:

weber|(big green egg)|(webber)|(charcoal grill) -barrels -carb -amp -carburator

If you have a smart phone with mobile email, create an account on If This Then That. I basically used the website to set up a trigger that sends me an email anytime a new ad containing the word "Weber" in the title is posted. Almost scored a new gas assist performer a few weeks ago for $50 but missed it by about 5 minutes. Had I not received the email telling me about the posting, I would have never known the ad was even posted. "Weber" is the only search that I get email for as to avoid getting too many CL emails.

On top of that, I also search for bbq, smoker, charcoal, grill (title only), barbeque, and misspellings of all of those. Mostly though, it comes down to being in the right place at the right time which makes up half of the fun of it.

Save this search in the CL search box from your city (or modify if you don't want BGE included) as a bookmark and click early and often. It will most often bring in nearby cities as it's narrowed down a bit. :thumb:

This is a good idea. I am very rarely in the market for a carburetor! :wink:

That is a great tip. I just used that and added "carbs" and "carborator" to the list to exclude.

+1 on Webber. Scored some nice units from sellers that cant spell Weber. :grin:

If you are serious, search as often as you can.... I found a nice OTG Black last weekend 10 minutes from my house & bought if for $15.... Been checking all day & guess it was on CL no longer than an hour or so, she just got a Traeger & was glad to see it go (ME TOO)..... Also the other tips/tricks work well also..... Missed a couple this weekend under copper/gold & red kettle, about an hour from my house but couldn't get away..... They were off CL in about an hour....

Depends on what time of year your searching. In our neck of the woods, in winter time you can pick up a weber for dirt cheap.
I have 4, 3 were bought $15. or less, and one my dad rescued from the trash dumpster...

Get a smartphone and constantly look at things. You would be surprised how quick things can sell. I had a PK grill sold out from underneath me even though I told the guy I wanted it sight unseen and we arranged a time to go over. I should have contacted the guy and gone there immediately.

Using the term gill doesn't always work. I use barbeque, barbecue, smoker, bbq, etc. as well. Misspellings are common as well as leaving brand names off. The PK grill just said charcoal grill in the title and best grill in the world in the description; $30! sigh....

I also use Zoomthelist but will try the other one listed as Zoom lists expired items as well. But you can search by state, etc.

Also, be persistent on communications. There are people that are really flakey on CL. You sometimes wonder if they really want to sell!

Back