Smoking Bologna

rnmedic45

Reaction score
I have read many ideas from just smoking the 5 lb bologna roll to filling the center with bbq sauce and rubbing the outside. Any suggestions. I really don't like bologna but have read this will taste nothing like the original when done.

I cut the “tube” down the middle length ways – then I apply my BBQ rub and let it sit to reach room temp. Cutting it like this lets me get more rub on the meat. I put it on the smoker (230 degrees) for at least an hour. I bring it off the smoker and slice it into half inch pieces –put them into an aluminum pan and put a light coat of BBQ sauce on them and back into the smoker until the sauce sets – about 30 minutes or so.

I have also tossed some sautéed sweet onion and bell pepper in the coating part.

Last edited:
I smoke the chubs in a manner very similar to the method MM stated.I rub it down with mustard,rub and lots of brown sugar,smoke on a rack over a pan full of beer for a few hours.

I saw Malcomb with "Killer Hogs" BBQ team do it that way one time and I have done it ever since.

ALways a winner IMHO.

Personally I prefer a sweeter brown sugar based rub and a sauce that has a little heat to it. I make my own rubs most of the time but I have used the Plowboy’s Yard Bird and like it as well.

I have also used the Bob Gibson’s Habenaro BBQ Sauce and cut it with a little honey.

I cut the “tube” down the middle length ways – then I apply my BBQ rub and let it sit to reach room temp. Cutting it like this lets me get more rub on the meat. I put it on the smoker (230 degrees) for at least an hour. I bring it off the smoker and slice it into half inch pieces –put them into an aluminum pan and put a light coat of BBQ sauce on them and back into the smoker until the sauce sets – about 30 minutes or so.

I have also tossed some sautéed sweet onion and bell pepper in the coating part.

Tupelo??? Howdy neighbor!

I'm not a huge bologna fan either but these were kind of tasty.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60224

084-2.jpg

i core it. fill the core with chedder cheese. Plug the end with a chunk of what pulled out of cored. hatch the outside and put some rub on it. when the cheese melts, start saucing to glaze it until the sause sets.

then grill the core and thats your snack.

Tupelo??? Howdy neighbor!

Good to meet you Mr. Hoss! Homeboys need to stick together. :-o

I am wondering how the bolonga cook went ... if it did?

I read where someone smoked a bologna chub then sliced it either 1/2" - 3/4" thick and "iced" it with a cream cheese & bacon dip mixture between slices and around the outside like a layer cake. Maybe even bacon sprinkles on top of that.
The possibilities go on and on.

I'm not a huge bologna fan either but these were kind of tasty.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60224

084-2.jpg
My wife didn't think she liked Bologna, till I smoked one.
I scored it all over rubbed it down with mustard and then pork spices.
I later glazed it with Sweet Baby Rays cut with coffee.
It had about a 1/4" smoke ring inside...

This became a sandwich and breakfast favorite of hers.

I avoid salt heavy rub, as I find bologna to be salty already. I like to do the cross hatched top. Sweet and spicy is the winner to me

Back