• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is a Stump Platinum 5 too big!

ellagrace

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at replacing my exsisting stumps smoker, for a Platinum 5. I need a bigger pit too cook for larger crowds. My issue is that when I'm not cooking for a large crowd and just for my family, will this pit be too big and produce a lower quality product?

Thanks for any insight.

it is big, how large are the crowds your cooking for?
I dont think it would produce a lower quality product, but its a big unit to fire up just for a family.

What size stumps do you have now? The p5 holds up to 400lbs of pork butts. I think you can cook 150lb hog also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Guys,

I have a Stretch right now. I'm running out of room in the stretch and want to start cooking for larger groups. Also on the competition side want to cook more hogs.

I bought the stretch thinking it would be the last. Figured it was big enough. So my next one has to be my last. lol

The Platinum five may be a little big now, but I'm hoping to get larger in the catering and it won't be.

thx
Nick

I say if you can afford it go for it. Platinums are bad arse cookers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Guys,

I have a Stretch right now. I'm running out of room in the stretch and want to start cooking for larger groups. Also on the competition side want to cook more hogs.

I bought the stretch thinking it would be the last. Figured it was big enough. So my next one has to be my last. lol

The Platinum five may be a little big now, but I'm hoping to get larger in the catering and it won't be.

thx
Nick

You have answered your question here, Grasshopper!

My platinum is rarely used and my stretch is on constantly if that tells you anything. For instance tonight I made 7-8lbs of smoked sausage. It would have been ridiculous to fire up a platinum for that. The stretch is also easier to clean. The ash and clag is more work to get out of the Platinum. That being said a big hog in the platinum is an impressive thing for a crowd of hungry people. I was in your shoes this time last year. I had visions of all kinds of hog cooks and big catering gigs. Truth is I didn't end up doing nearly as much as I thought. Lucky for me I didn't have to choose and I just get to wheel the platinum out for special occasions and have the stretch for the more modest cooks. Good luck with your decision. Its a tough one.

Thanks everyone,

Bourbon Barrel yes its tough. I guess the real deciding factor will be what I can sell the Stretch for. Time will tell!

Thanks Again
Nick

Back