Stubb's Charcoal making Ribs darker?

MaxBobcat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anybody else experienced a quicker appearance of color on their ribs when using Stubbs?

I recently switched to Stubbs from Kingsford Blue and have noticed a drastic quickening from when I put the ribs on to when they get to the mahogany color (that's the time I like to start my wrap). I remember I used to be able to leave the ribs unwrapped for 1.5 to 2 hours before they got the color I liked.

With Stubb's, it takes ~30 minutes!! I cook ribs fairly hot...between 300-325, but not crazy or anything. Also, I have noticed that on my WSM, the end of the ribs that are above the top vent get much darker. I do not remember this happening with kingsford blue. It may have, but it was not as pronounced. The pictures below show the ribs I am cooking right now. They were put on @ 250 with 5 smallish chunks of Apple, and I let it creep up to 325. These pictures were taken after 32 minutes on the pit. The darker end had the vent above them for around 25 minutes, and then I switched the lid position and had the vent above the lighter end for a little over 5 minutes. I noticed even after 5 minutes the lighter end began to darken up. That quick!

Any thoughts? I know my temp has something to do with the quick color, but I do not remember this happening with KB. Any similar experiences with Stubbs?

XtSSwsql.jpg

Bv5EyD3l.jpg

I too have always used KB and recently tried a rib cook with Stubbs but did not notice any difference as far as coloring faster. Stubbs is for sure my new charcoal of choice,burns cleaner and longer. Maybe some other will chime in soon.

Same rib rub every time? Maybe your current rub has more sugar in it?

To be honest, it makes sense. There is more real wood in stubbs than KB soooo maaaaybe there are more CO, NO and NO2 gases released when it burns?

Now....that's pulled straight from my butt and I have nothing to back it up. But, it sounds good right???:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I've been using Stubb's exclusively for the last year or so, after using primarily Kingsford blue before that, and I haven't noticed much difference in browning.

Maybe they are burning hotter or longer than what you are used to?

Then again, they may be a little smokier because they are natural hardwood.

Back