• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NEW Stubbs Hardwood Lump Charcoal

There is a difference in lump, oak burns hot and long while mesquite burns hot and fast. Both oak and mesquite lump taste like the original hard wood they originally were. So if you don't like mesquite splits or chucks your not going to like it in lump. I prefer oak lump for these reasons, I don't even use wood chunks most the time just lump.

200 views:tsk: and none of you farkers have used this chit? :tsk:

What brand of oak lump do you use? Cowboy is oak lump, and it throws sparks worse than any lump I have ever used.

482 views, nobody has heard seen or tried this stuff hu..

I don't know if I want to pay 50 cents per pound on fuel

It's defiantly not KBlue were you can get 2 20# bags for 8 bucks 3 to 4 times a year, but a average Qer(Drum or Egglikes) could easily extinguish the lump when done smokin and re use it on there next cook, if it was mostly oak.... But I bet this lump is mostly mesquite, I have never had much mesquite lump left for future cooks, it burns up to fast.

What brand of oak lump do you use? Cowboy is oak lump, and it throws sparks worse than any lump I have ever used.

I use B&B oak lump from Academy 20# bags for 13 bucks =0.65:crazy: cent per lb, I can easily cap off my drum or Akorn and have plenty of B&B lump left for future cooks. I have never used Cowboys but have heard from some brethren it's gone up in quality. The few different lump brands I have tried have sparked, some more then others B&B isn't bad.

Where is this competition going on in Austin? Have never been to one and would love to check it out as a spectator

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It's defiantly not KBlue were you can get 2 20# bags for 8 bucks 3 to 4 times a year, but a average Qer(Drum or Egglikes) could easily extinguish the lump when done smokin and re use it on there next cook, if it was mostly oak.... But I bet this lump is mostly mesquite, I have never had much mesquite lump left for future cooks, it burns up to fast.
Yeah, I hear ya, but mesquite lump sells for 25 cents per pound around here (in 40 lb bags), half the price per pound of what Costco hardwood lump sells for. :)

I would go pick up a bag today, but I'm guessing that it takes a little while to get it up north here.

And cowboy already makes a mesquite lump-

http://www.lowes.com/pd_269017-3744...pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=lump+charcoal&facetInfo=

The bag of Stubbs lump said mixed hard woods, it also said "Packaged in the USA woods from Mexico" by saying mixed hardwoods I imagine there's some oak in there.

Where is this competition going on in Austin? Have never been to one and would love to check it out as a spectator

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It's at 500 VFW Road Austin, Texas 78753 VFW 8787 "Chilly" Chili and BBQ Cook-Off Turn in's are at 1,2:30 and 4. I live in south Austin it takes about 20 min to get there it's up by Yager Ln you should come check it out there was about 65 teams last year.

Yeah, I hear ya, but mesquite lump sells for 25 cents per pound around here (in 40 lb bags), half the price per pound of what Costco hardwood lump sells for. :)

Maybe they charge another 25 cent per lb for it being a mix of hardwood not just best in the west? You seen that ol Wicked Good I hear there's gold flakes in it :loco: now that stuff is pricey.

Last edited:
You seen that ol Wicked Good I hear there's gold flakes in it :loco: now that stuff is pricey.

I really like that Wicked Good. I love the huge chunks and great burn. I'm out....Monday's brisket flat killed my last bag and I had to resort to the red bag of Royal Oak....only smallish pieces throughout the bag!

Aggravating.

Will remedy this soon.

I really like that Wicked Good. I love the huge chunks and great burn. I'm out....Monday's brisket flat killed my last bag and I had to resort to the red bag of Royal Oak....only smallish pieces throughout the bag!

Aggravating.

Will remedy this soon.

I hear nothing but good thing's about it, I just checked there site and I see they sell it in Austin now, I'll be tryin it soon. Ya once you're used to large chunks opening a bag of RO seems like someone is playing a sick joke on you, bet that flat was still worth the hassle though..

Sent from my SGH-T999

Wicked Good isn't bad, but I still like The Good One lump and Kamado Joe North American blend better personally. They are much easier to light and get up to temp really quick. Plus I think they smell better than WG.

I hear nothing but good thing's about it, I just checked there site and I see they sell it in Austin now, I'll be tryin it soon. Ya once you're used to large chunks opening a bag of RO seems like someone is playing a sick joke on you, bet that flat was still worth the hassle though..

Sent from my SGH-T999

Ace hardware sells it with free ship to store.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Yep, the size of chunks in B&B bags can be huge. Have found pieces as big as my forearm before.

Went to Costco today, and they seem to have the Stubbs lump. All I could find was one torn bag which I passed on, but hope they are planning to get more.

How much is Wicked Good in Austin? Its about $22 for 20lbs shipped to the local Ace.

I will be at Costco this weekend and will look for it here locally. Why do so many not like the Mexican lump Mesquite, it really has a good flavor?

I will be at Costco this weekend and will look for it here locally. Why do so many not like the Mexican lump Mesquite, it really has a good flavor?

Mesquite wood in general has a very strong pungent flavor that can turn bitter. Some love it but a lot hate it (I don't care for it- I'll use it, but there are a lot of other things Ill buy first).

Ace hardware sells it with free ship to store.
Ace is kinda far from me, but I've always known they've carried it, there are two more places down the street that sell it, now I know from WG site.

Yep, the size of chunks in B&B bags can be huge. Have found pieces as big as my forearm before.

Went to Costco today, and they seem to have the Stubbs lump. All I could find was one torn bag which I passed on, but hope they are planning to get more.

How much is Wicked Good in Austin? Its about $22 for 20lbs shipped to the local Ace.

Cool to hear they sell it at your's, I'm going to try it out some other time if they get more to. The WG is probably that much at the two stores near me, I'm going to call them in the morning.

I don't dislike mesquite its a spicy strong wood great on beef, I like it for steaks an fajitas but not anything long cooking wise. I've had a full basket of mesquite on my uds burn through before my brisket,ribs and a butt finished cooking at 300-350* it sucked, I dabbled in oven cookery when this chit happened. You should get a bag if they have it an your due for a re up, let us know how it works, you know how it works this whole brethren site and all:decision:

Mixed woods means they can use anything they have available. I prefer to go to my local restaurant supply and get Mesquite or Oak charcoal. I'm paying $15/40lb bag.
That way I know what flavor I'm getting. I also get all my wood there.

AustinKnight- what time would you suggest I swing by the competition? I'd love to check out the rigs down there and get a bit of insight into competition.

AustinKnight- what time would you suggest I swing by the competition? I'd love to check out the rigs down there and get a bit of insight into competition.

At turn in times(1,2:30,4) it will be crazy and folks are not going to be as friendly when you walk up to talk to them, come check us out brotha if you come by after 1 I'll have chicken you can try, come by after 2:30 I'll have ribs for you to try, come by after 4 I'll have some brisket point I'll share as well. Bring a chair and something to drink make your rounds come back and tell me what you think of the whole competition :biggrin1:
20130206_143721.jpg

20130206_143820.jpg

Picked up a bag of this today at my local Lowes. Will give it a test run tomorrow, being that it's raining heavily right now :(

Back